Explosion in Derna
Benghazi, March 22: Unknown assailants threw a grenade at a car filled with ammunition in Derna late last night, casing a massive explosion. There were no reported casualties.
For the past three weeks, Derna has been relatively quiet with nothing untoward other than the announcement that Foot and Mouth Disease had spread to the surrounding area and that no live animals could be transported in or out of it. However, at the beginning of the month, on March 2, the head of the security committee in the town, Colonel Mohammed Al-Hassi, was shot and killed outside a petrol station in the town.
Al-Hassi, who had previously survived two earlier assassination attempts, was also the head of Derna’s anti-drugs unit and had cracked down hard on local drug smugglers during and before the revolution. He was also investigating the activities of two of the brigades at the time of his death.
It is not known if this latest incident is linked. However, Derna is on the smuggling route into Egypt.
More from Libya Herald..
- Jalu trench motivated by security fears By Jamal Adel.
Tripoli, 5 January 2014:
A member of Jalu Local Council has said that the huge trench to be built around the oasis town will combat illegal immigration, drug dealing and armed ...
- Another explosion in Derna Benghazi, March 29: Investigations are underway following an explosion yesterday, Wednesday, at the Women’s Higher Vocational Centre in Derna. Officials at the centre say that an unknown group thr...
- Benghazi Air Force Search and Rescue head assassinated By Ahmed Elumami.
Benghazi, 19 July 2013:
A second Air Force Search and Rescue head has been assassinated in the east of the country, following his kidnap late last night.
The body of Colo...
- Vaccine could halt spread of deadly chicken virus By Reem Tombokti.
Tripoli 10 May 2013:
The government has stepped up its efforts to control the spread of the deadly poultry virus Newcastle Disease, by importing a vaccine to immunise chicke...
- Derna security chief assassinated The new chief of the higher security committee in Derna, Colonel Mohammed Al-Hassi, was assassinated this afternoon when unknown assailants shot him outside a petrol station in the town. He died be...