50 dead claimed in Sebha, including head of local brigade.
Tripoli, March 28: The clashes in Sebha between Tebu and local militiamen have now claimed 50 lives. The number of wounded is put at 60. The dead are said to include the leader of the Sebha Martyrs Brigade, Issa Abdurrahman, who was wounded in the fighting on Tuesday.
Government forces have been flown in to try and contain the violence. Three hundred were dispatched on Monday. They were joined by a further 300 on Tuesday.
Eye witnesses told reporters on Tuesday that further Tebu forces had come to the city to reinforce existing Tebu fighters and that that clashes had continued between them and the Sebha Martyrs Brigade all morning. Of the wounded, the Tebus were receiving treatment in Murzuq which remains under their control.
The local hospital is said to be suffering severe shortages, particularly low blood supplies. Calls were made calls over loudspeakers throughout the city urging people to donate blood.
Tebu forces were later said to have withdrawn some 20 kilometers from Sebha towards the town of Murzuq.
More from Libya Herald..
- Staff protest over violence closes Benghazi hospital By Maha Ellawati.
Benghazi, 13 July 2013:
A violent outbreak between two feuding families in Benghazi’s Al-Jalah hospital has sparked an angry protest from medical staff, closing the premises...
- Tawergha elders say “Sorry” to Misrata Tawergha leaders today offered a formal apology to the people of Misrata for the death and destruction caused by Qaddafi’s forces operating out of their city.
This highly significant statement w...
- Benghazi security official shot dead Benghazi, 2 December 2013:
A young member of the Preventative Security Force in Benghazi, Misbah Gbaylli, was shot dead this morning.
The 21-year old was shot twice in the head outside his ho...
- Improved security for Egyptians in Sirte promised following protests By Houda Mzioudet.
Trpoli, 4 November 2013:
Officials in Sirte have promised better protection for Egyptians working in the town. The promise was made at a meeting following yesterday’s prote...
- At least 20 dead in Sebha tribal blood feud Tripoli March 26
Around 20 people have been killed today and many injured in a flare up of inter-tribal violence in Sebha. A blood feud between the Abu Seif and Tabu tribes is believed to have...