Ajdabiya election storage centre burned by suspected federalist arsonists
Tripoli, 5 July:
The fire destroyed large quantities of election materials ahead of Saturday’s vote
The main storage centre for election materials was burned down by suspected federalist arsonists in Ajdabiya this morning, destroying a large quantity of election materials including ballot boxes and voting cards.
The attack, which comes just two days ahead of Saturday’s historic vote, is the latest manifestation of disquiet amongst federalists in eastern Libya.
Last Sunday, pro-federalist demonstrators also attacked the HNEC offices in Benghazi and Tobruk, destroying computers and election materials in the former and reportedly beating the deputy director of the latter.
Federalist sentiment in Ajdabiya has been comparatively strong in recent months. On 1 June, a large rally took place to commemorate the 63rd anniversary declaration of independence by the Emirate of Cyrenaica in 1949.
That meeting was attended by Ahmed Zubair Senussi, a cousin of the late king and leader of the self-proclaimed Cyrenaica Transitional Council (CTC) which wants a federal Libya.
More from Libya Herald..
- Federalists welcome Jibril victory; hint at dissolution if dialogue successful By George Grant.
Tripoli, 10 July:
The leadership of Libya's eastern federalists has said that it welcomes the victory of Mahmoud Jibril's National Forces Alliance and looks forward to "c...
- Cyrenaica federalists declare self government on 64th anniversary of Emirate of Cyrenaica independence By Ahmed Ruhayam.
Benghazi, 1 June 2013:
Several thousand Cyrenaican supporters of federalism attended a major rally in Marj today at which Sheikh Ahmed Zubair Senussi, head of the Cyrenaica ...
- Pro-federal rallies in Ajdabiya and Bayda mark Cyrenaica’s 1949 “independence” By Maha Ellawati.
Benghazi, 2 June:
There were pro-Cyrenaica rallies in Ajdabiya, Al-Bayda and other eastern towns on Friday against the distribution of seats allocated for the National Confe...
- Opinion: Should Libya consider federalism? By Ismail Suayah. On March 6, factions in eastern Libya gathered in the city of Benghazi to revive federalism, a system previously adopted in Libya in 1951 when what was then the United Kingdom of Libya achieved ind...
- Federalist head distances himself from Jadhran, announces new Council of Cyrenaica By Houda Mzioudet.
Tripoli, 30 October 2013:
The president of the ‘Cyrenaica Transitional Council,’ Ahmed Zubair Al-Senussi, has distanced himself from the Political Bureau of Cyrenaica (PBC)...