No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Kidnapped Iranians being held by extremists: official

byMichel Cousins
August 1, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Benghazi, 1 August:

A local militia group has claimed responsibility for seizing seven members of an Iranian Red Crescent delegation in Benghazi . . .[restrict]early yesterday morning.

They claimed they had detained the group to interrogate them to ascertain their reasons for visiting Libya, in particular, to see if they were Shiites and were planning to proselytise for Shiism.

“Members of the brigade holding the Iranians are questioning them to determine whether their activities and intentions aimed to spread the doctrine of Shiite Islam,” an official in touch with the kidnappers was quoted as saying.  He did not name the group but indicated they were Islamic extremists.

The seven were in good health, were being well treated and would be released as soon as the interrogations were finished, he said.

RELATED POSTS

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

In June, the Grand Mufti of Libya Sheikh Sadik Al-Ghariani claimed that Iranian Shiites were proselytising in Libya.

Yesterday, the Libyan Red Crescent said that it had invited to group to the country to discuss  “various cooperation prospects in the field of humanitarian aid”. They arrived in Libya on Monday and were seized while on their way back from the Red Crescent headquarters in Benghazi to the Tibesti hotel where they were staying.

It called for the seven to be released.

Amnesty International today added its voice to appeals to free them. “The seven Iranian Red Crescent members must be allowed to go free,” its Middle East and North Africa deputy director Hassiba Hadj Sahraoui said.

She added: “Their plight highlights the urgent need for the Libyan authorities to rein in armed militias who are operating out of control.”

Meanwhile in Tehran, the Iranian Red Crescent called on the Libyan authorities to act against those responsible and ensure the seven’s freedom.  It said the group had been invited to Libya by the Libyan Red Crescent to develop cooperation and that a cooperation agreement had been signed just before the kidnapping.

It also called on the Libyan Red Crescent Society and the International Committee of the Red Cross to investigate the matter.

Illegal detentions by militias are all too common in Libya given the absence of a functioning judiciary and strong police force. Human Rights Watch estimates that there are about 5,000 detainees held by militias. Human rights organisations such as itself and Amnesty International have issued several demands that the government to take action to end the situation.

Two days ago, the authorities responded. Members of the Supreme Security Committee (SSC) freed people illegally detained in Tripoli  and arrested the militiamen holding them.

  [/restrict]

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

The puzzle of suspended tourist visas

Federalists launch political party

Federalists launch political party

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.