Mufti condemns shrine attacks
the Grand Mufti, Sheikh Sadik Al-Ghariani
Tripoli, 26 August:
A statement from the Grand Mufti, Sheikh Sadeq al-Ghariani, released by the Fatwa Office today, condemned the desecration of of graves and holy sites, which it described as “not religiously permissable” and “a violation of the sanctity of the dead”.
This comes against the backdrop of recent attacks on Sufi shrines, and continued attempts to demolish Tripoli’s Al-Sha’ab shrine, allegedly with the backing of the Ministry of the Interior.
The statement said that it was forbidden to desecrate graves, whether they belong to Muslims or non-Muslims, and stressed that anyone who does so contravenes the teachings of both the Qu’ran and the Hadith.
It also contained a reminder that the use of weapons is forbidden, other than under state authority and also urged the government to do eveything within its power to achieve security and stability.
More from Libya Herald..
- Congressman’s speech sparks controversy over Tamazight Language By Umar Khan.
Tripoli, 13 November 2013:
Ghariyan Congressman and National Front Party member Muhammed Younis Toumi has sparked controversy over the poisition of the Tamazight language, sayin...
- Graves desecrated in Mizdah By Houda Mzioudet.
Tripoli, 4 September 2013:
The desecration of graves and shrines in Mizdah on Monday night has been condemned by local council members and the Dar Al Iftaa.
- Grand Mufti says that Fatwa Office will speak out politically if necessary Tripoli, March 15: Libya’s Grand Mufti and Head of the Supreme Council for Fatwa, Sheikh Sadeq Al-Ghariani, said on Wednesday that the Dar Al-Iftaa (Fatwa Office) would speak out on political and e...
- National Congress summons PM, Defence Minister and Interior Minister for questioning over shrine desecrations By George Grant.
Tripoli, 25 August:
The Prime Minister, the Minister of Defence and the Interior Minister are to be questioned by the National Congress tomorrow morning over their handli...
- Grand Mufti calls on revolutionaries to “eliminate” criminals and insurgents in Warshefana and Sebha By Ashraf Abdul- Wahab.
Tripoli, 24 February 2014:
Libya’s Grand Mufti, Sheikh Sadik Al-Ghariani had ordered revolutionaries to “eliminate” alleged criminals resisting arrest in the Warshefan...