Libya Shield forces did not join in Salafist attack says commander
By Ashraf Abdul Wahab.
Tripoli, 10 September:
The leader of Libya Shield Forces in east of the country, Wisam Bin Hamid, has denied reports that his forces were involved in the attack on a Sufi shrine on Friday in Rajma, south east of Benghazi.
Three people, all Salafists, were killed by locals when they tried to destroy the shrine of Sidi Ellafi.
“The news is false”, he is quoted as saying. The reason for the presence of the Shield forces, he said, was to rescue those injured in the clashes.
It is now reported that 13 people, were wounded in the incident, three of them seriously. Most are said to be Salafists.
Bin Hamid said that his forces had not been present when the clashes started. However, when they arrived and tried to to rescue the wounded, some of their vehicles were then attacked and burned by local residents.
The Shield forces would provide further details about the incident, he said. He added that a committee had been set up, comprising representatives from his forces, the interior ministry and local leaders, to negotiate with the local citizenry about taking into custody and questioning those who had attacked Salafists.
More from Libya Herald..
- Cleaners commended for honourable behaviour
Tripoli, 10 July 2013:
The Ministry of Local Government and the local council of Zliten, have honoured three garbage collectors for handing over a bag of gold and silver, which they found in...
- Jalu trench motivated by security fears By Jamal Adel.
Tripoli, 5 January 2014:
A member of Jalu Local Council has said that the huge trench to be built around the oasis town will combat illegal immigration, drug dealing and armed ...
- New council leaders elected in Zliten By Ashraf Abdul-Wahab.
Tripoli, 2 September:
Zliten Local Council elected Abdel Moneim Mohammed Al-Sari as its leader, yesterday, Saturday. Faraj Milad Thiab was elected deputy leader.
- Three Salafists reported dead following clashes with locals defending Sufi shrines By Maha Ellawati.
Benghazi, 8 September:
Three people have been killed in the latest attempt by militant Salafists to destroy a Sufi shrine, the interior minister has said.
The incident to...
- Salafist attempt to destroy Zliten shrine sparks country-wide anger Tripoli, March 11: The attempt by Salafists on Friday to attack and destroy one of Libya’s most important Sufi shrines, in Zliten, has angered Libyans far beyond the town.
On Friday, over 100 ca...