No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Stevens murder suspect killed in Cairo; Tunisian held in Tunis jail

byMichel Cousins
November 2, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Tripoli, 25 October:

An Egyptian suspected of involvement in last month’s attack on the US mission in Benghazi in which Ambassador Chris . . .[restrict]Stevens was slain in Cairo yesterday, Wednesday.

According to the Egyptian Interior Ministry, the man — named only as Hazem —  died in a shoot-out with security forces at an apartment in Nasr City, northeast Cairo. They had been sent to arrest him following information received implicating him in the Benghazi attack. He is said to have recently returned from Libya.

Security sources say he threw a bomb from the ground floor apartment but it bounced back into the building. Police then fired tear gas and exchanged gunfire. The building subsequently caught fire, forcing other residents to be evacuated. After the fire was put out, police say they found the man’s body completely burnt.

They say they also found 17 bombs, four RPGs, three automatic weapons and large quantities of ammunition.

RELATED POSTS

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

The man was said to have rented the apartment for the past three months.

The shoot-out came the same day a lawyer in Tunisia said that a local man accused also of being involved the Benghazi mission attack was being held in a Tunis jail on terrorism charges.

The man, named as Ali Harzi, was one of two Tunisians arrested in Turkey on 3 October, allegedly having entered the country on false passports. It was later reported that both were believed to be linked to the Benghazi attack and had been sent back by the Turks to Tunis on 11 October. Harzi is reported to have been trying to head to Syria after having escaped from Libya.

According to lawyer Ouled Ali Anwar, Harzi has been charged with “membership of a terrorist organisation in a time of peace in another country”.

Anwar is insisting on his client’s innocence, saying he is a “scapegoat to satisfy the Americans”.

Tunisian Interior Ministry spokesman Tarrouch Khaled has confirmed the arrest, saying the case “is in the hands of justice”.

A US intelligence official is reported claiming that Harzi has links with terrorist organisations. Another report says he appeared on the US intelligence radar when he posted information about the attack on a social media site shortly afterwards.

American investigators have so far not been allowed to question him. [/restrict]

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Bani Walid in lockdown as military attempts to prevent return of civilians

The Libya Summit: speakers announced

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.