No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Mahmoud Jibril says NATO departure from Libya “premature”

byGeorge Grant
November 2, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Mahmoud Jibril says NATO departure from Libya “premature”

A sign in Tripoli thanks NATO and allied countries for supporting last year's uprising. (Photo: George Grant)

By Hadi Fornaji.

A sign in Tripoli thanks NATO and allied countries for supporting last year’s uprising, February 2012. (Photo: George Grant)

Tripoli, 2 November:

The United States and NATO were premature in withdrawing from Libya and suffered their own “mission accomplished” . . .[restrict]moment when the Qaddafi regime fell last year, Mahmoud Jibril has controversially claimed.

The National Forces Alliance chief said that the decision had risked opening up a power vacuum in Libya, which could be exploited by militant Islamists and other armed groups.

“After the collapse of the regime, the immediate task of our friends was to help us rebuild the government before they withdrew from Libya,” Jibril said on Wednesday, during a visit to the United States.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

“The moment the regime fell down, they felt that their mission has been accomplished. I think it was a premature decision.”

Former US President George W. Bush famously delivered a televised speech in May 2003 aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln to announce the end of major combat operations in Iraq under a huge banner stating “Mission Accomplished”. US involvement in the conflict was to continue for another eight years.

Unlike in Iraq, however, there was no major ground operation by foreign forces in Libya, and nor was there the prospect of NATO continuing operations any longer than was needed to enforce United Nations Security Council Resolution 1973, which formed the legal basis for the intervention.

Contrary to Jibril’s comments, it is widely felt in Western capitals and elsewhere that a more enduring NATO presence in Libya could have helped fuel unrest and extremism, not prevent it.

Jibril, who served as the NTC’s interim prime minister during the revolution, argued that in order to reduce the problem of violence in Libya, it was now essential to open up a national dialogue that could include all social, political and religious groups.

His greatest fear was that these groups would refuse to negotiate, perhaps out of religious ideology or fear of marginalisation.

“What I’m afraid of is when those elements refuse to sit around one table and discuss the future of the country,” Jibril said.

“That’s a scary scenario. The alternative, unfortunately, is not a good one.” He suggested that the country had “about a year” to work out a national dialogue that included all of these factions.

Jibril is no stranger to controversy in his public statements. At the beginning of August he warned that “Libya could go the way of Iraq and Somalia if assassinations and bombings in Benghazi were to continue”.

The remarks followed a wave of targeted killings, many of them against former Qaddafi-era army officers, that had been taking place in the eastern city. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibya

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Major demonstration planned today by thuwar demanding removal of ministers

Libyan amongst 12 Al-Qaeda suspects arrested in Cairo

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.