No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

All local council elections set to be banned until after permanent Constitution is ratified

byGeorge Grant
November 20, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
All local council elections set to be banned until after permanent Constitution is ratified

The Tripoli Local Council elections: now looking highly unlikely.

By George Grant.

The Tripoli Local Council elections: now looking highly unlikely.

Tripoli, 18 November:

——–

Update: For an update on this issue see the Libya Herald article of 20 November which can . . .[restrict]be access here.

——–

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

On the day of first direct Tripoli to Rome flight, MoU signed between Libyan Civil Aviation and its Italian counterpart

No more local council elections will take place in Libya until after the permanent Constitution has been ratified, according to a decision taken by the National Congress that emerged today.

Under the provision, any local council that has already been elected will remain in place, but any town or region which has not yet completed local council election procedures will have them cancelled.

The move throws the Tripoli Local Council elections into serious doubt, with an announcement having been made only today that they would now be held on 23 December.

In fact, considerable confusion has surrounded the law, with Congressmen providing differing versions of events and one insisting that no decision had yet been made at all.

What appears to have transpired, however, is that a decision was taken on this issue several weeks ago but for some reason never announced.

“We voted on this perhaps three weeks ago”, Harawi independent Congressman Saad Ben Sharada told the Libya Herald. “The problem was, nobody knew about it. I had people ringing me up asking me about local council elections, and I was saying to them, ‘there are no local council elections any more; we already voted on this’.”

Sharada said the vote was not included in the Congress’s official bulletin, although the reason for this remains unclear.

According to Salah Joudah, a leading independent Congressman for Benghazi, the law, which he agreed was supposed to have been enacted several weeks ago, will now be reviewed by a legal committee to determine when it should now come into effect.

“All local elections have been stopped and we should have a final decision on this in the next 48 hours; this is the final stage”, Joudah said. “We [Congress] made the decision, but we must go to the law committee to get a final decision about when it will come into effect.”

Joudah insisted that as things currently stood, “the Tripoli elections and all the local council elections in the country will be cancelled”.

Congressmen say that the rationale behind the decision is the need to bring some semblance of unity and structure to the way Libya is governed ahead of a definitive framework being put in place by the Constitution.

Following the total upheaval of last year’s revolution, Libya’s political class has frequently resorted to making the rules up as they go along, a process arguably made all the more chaotic by the emergence of new local councils with nebulous remits following elections over which the central government had no control.

As for the fate of the Tripoli Local Council elections, many in the capital will perhaps be relieved to see the back of what increasingly looked to become a costly white elephant.

Thus far, the elections have been pushed back on three occasions, and popular apathy towards the vote is widespread. So far, less than a fifth of Tripoli’s 1.1 million inhabitants have registered to vote, whilst some 300 candidates have submitted their names to stand.

The Libya Herald will provide greater clarity regarding the local council elections law, including the fate of the Tripoli elections, as further details emerge. [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaLocal Council electionsTripoli

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Zeidan government holds first cabinet meeting

“The Integrity Commission itself does not conform to the standards of integrity and patriotism”, say angry protesters in Benghazi

“The Integrity Commission itself does not conform to the standards of integrity and patriotism”, say angry protesters in Benghazi

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.