No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tebu delegation heading to Tripoli as another Tebu man dies in Kufra

byMichel Cousins
November 27, 2012
Reading Time: 4 mins read
A A
Tebu delegation heading to Tripoli as another Tebu man dies in Kufra

By Michel Cousins

Essa Abdul Majid Mansour (Photo: Libya Herald)

Tripoli, 27 November:

A delegation of some 36 Tebu representatives are in due in Tripoli today, Tuesday, to press the . . .[restrict]new government and the General National Congress on citizenship and civil rights issues for their people. The 36 are from Kufra, Sebha and Murzuk.

Both Kufra and Sebha saw major clashes earlier this year between Tebus and Arab residents in which several hundred people died.

Leading the representatives in the planned talks with the authorities will be the Tebu military leader Essa Abdul Majid Mansour. He is already in the capital.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Speaking to the Libya Herald yesterday, Monday, Essa said that the present conflict between the Zway and the Tebus in Kufra remains unresolved. There is “an uneasy peace” in the town despite a ceasefire at the beginning of August. Over a hundred of his people had been killed there in the earlier clashes, he said.

Since the ceasefire, six more had been killed, the latest on Monday, he added. The newest victim was Musa Hurnji. According to Essa, who still leads the “Anti-Illegal Immigration and Border Control Brigade”, the 19-year-old went on Monday morning with his father, Adel, to the town council offices in the centre of Kufra to obtain some papers. An unidentified sniper shot at both of them, killing the son instantly and seriously wounding the father.

There is supposed to be a mechanism in place as part of the ceasefire whereby anyone who kills or attacks a member of the opposite community is supposed to be handed over to the army. At the end of September when a Tebu man was shot dead, the Zway said they would hand over the killer.  “It’s never happened”, said Essa, referring to all the killings.

There is no indication, though, that the Tebus have ever handed over gunmen either.

“If the government does not go down [to the south] and settle issues, this will get worse,” he warned.

There is already smuggling of weapons to Al-Qaeda groups outside the country, Essa claims, as well as drugs being brought into Libya. “The government and the GNC must go and sort it out”, he said.

A main issue, he says, is the question of citizenship.

Large numbers of Tebus were stripped of the citizenship by Qaddafi in 2009 following a Tebu uprising the previous year, itself the result of persecution by the regime. There were forced evictions and demolition of Tebu homes. Because of it, the Tebu joined last year’s revolution from the very beginning.

Officials say that there are some 12,000-15,000 Libyan Tebus. However, Essa claims that there are at least 200,000 who are now stateless, having been stripped of their citizenship.

“The stability of Libya depends on the stability of the south and the stability of the south depends on the stability of the Tebu”, he stated.

The stability of the Tebu also affects Europe, he added, referring to the need to secure Libya’s southern borders to prevent sub-Saharan migrants using the country as a gateway across the Mediterranean to Europe.

“I’m ready to support the government solve these issues”, he added. “I hope we can start to rebuild Libya as a country.”

Essa denies that he warned earlier this year that Tebus would seek a separate state if their persecution did not end. This was put out by pro-Qaddafi elements to discredit him, he claims, because of his earlier stand against the regime.

What he did, he says, was ask the international community to put pressure on the Kib government to solve the problems of the Tebus.

Essa started the Tebu Salvation Front from exile in Norway in 2000, demanding that Tebus have access to medical and educational services and be allowed to serve in higher levels of the army and police. But, he adds, the Tebus were not unique in being oppressed. “Qaddafi punished all Libyans, not just Tebus.”

When the revolution started last year on 17 February, his brother, Juma Abdul Majid Mansour, set himself on fire in Kufra, copying Mohamed Bouazizi, the Tunisian who sparked the Arab Spring with his act of self-immolation on 17 December, 2010. He was transferred to hospital in Tripoli but, according to Essa, was murdered there days later.

Essa then returned to Libya the next month, on 27 March. He says that when he met the NTC in Benghazi at the time, he was asked to become the Council’s representative for Kufra.  “I refused. I said that I’m here to fight Qaddafi and liberate Libya.”

He raised a group of Tebus in Benghazi who became attached to the 17 February Brigade. There were 18 of them. He says that on 6th April last year, they were sent to protect Agoco’s oilfields, based at Meslah.  “On 12 June, Qaddafi forces attacked. We lost nine members”. He says that were it not for their action in protecting the oil fields, there would be no oil flowing today.

After the liberation of Libya was declared last October, he and his Tebu fighters were asked to control Libya’s south-eastern borders, based out of Kufra.

Although there had been issues between the Tebus and Zway “since 1974”, that is when the problem started to become serious, he says. Fighting between the two communities started on 29 November, he  says, and it stemmed from smuggling.  Some Zway, he claims, were involved in smuggling drugs into Libya and arms to Al-Qaeda groups outside the country and objected to the Tebus’ border controls.

  [/restrict]

Tags: featuredKufraLibyaTebu

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Opinion: Libya's UN Ambassador must resign

Leaders in Sirte meet to discuss national reconciliation between Qaddafi loyalists and revolutionaries

Leaders in Sirte meet to discuss national reconciliation between Qaddafi loyalists and revolutionaries

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.