No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya seeks to boost naval ties with France

byGeorge Grant
December 16, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Libya seeks to boost naval ties with France

The French stealth frigate Aconit berthed in Tripoli port on Sunday, 16 December 2012. (Photo: George Grant)

By Tom Little.

The French stealth frigate Aconit berthed in Tripoli port on Sunday, 16 December 2012. (Photo: George Grant)

Tripoli, 16 December:

Discussions over how to strengthen ties between the Libyan and French navies took place in Tripoli on . . .[restrict]Sunday, when navy chief of staff Hassan Boushnak met the with commander of a visiting French frigate.

Boushnak met the captain of the French stealth frigate Aconit, Olivier de Saint Julien, at a naval base in the capital, where the pair talked about increasing cooperation between the forces, sharing intelligence and joint training.

Saint Julien took part in NATO operations against Qaddafi during the 2011 revolution on board the French aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle, and this is the Aconit’s first visit to Libya since its involvement in last year’s conflict.

RELATED POSTS

Whiba Group’s Al-Dafniya Food Complex realizes first exports to France

UNICEF and France partner in “Baity-My Home” initiative for vulnerable children

Saint Julien said in a statement that his discussions with Boushnak had focused on cooperation in the future, but said he and his crew were delighted to be in Libya to establish ties between the navies.

He added that a number of Libyan naval personnel will tour military bases in France soon, although he did not specify when the visit would take place or how many officers had been invited.

Boushnak said that the visit of the frigate, which will stay in Tripoli until 17 December, was part of a wider initiative aimed at strengthening maritime ties between France and Libya.

The two forces first started working together in November 2011, he said, when French naval personnel helped to clear mines and debris from fighting during the revolution from around Tripoli, as well as training Libyan divers.

At the time of the revolution, Libya’s fleet under Qaddafi was already run-down and outdated, and NATO bombing destroyed a number of its warships.

Since the end of fighting last year, efforts have been made to retrain naval personnel to help maintain Libya’s sea borders and prevent migrants travelling to Europe, with significant assistance from foreign navies.

A Libyan naval team visited Tripoli in September to help with training, and earlier this month officers from the Libyan armed forces attended a three-day seminar held by the British military, which also took place in Tripoli. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredFranceLibyanavyQaddafi

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Benghazi rocked by second night of attacks

Benghazi rocked by second night of attacks

GNC announces temporary closure of southern borders and declares south a “closed military zone”

GNC announces temporary closure of southern borders and declares south a “closed military zone”

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.