Explosion at Derna radio station, police attacked on arrival
By Maha Ellawati.
Benghazi, 17 December:
Derna local radio station was hit by an explosion in the early hours of Monday morning, with the blast also damaging the office of a local television station situated nearby.
The assailants subsequently launched an attack on the town’s police chief, Colonel Mofed Abd Al-Hafid, along with a colleague once they arrived at the scene. The police officers came under fire but escaped uninjured.
A Derna resident informed the Libya Herald by telephone that radio and television broadcasts had been stopped today as a result of the incident.
The attackers, whose motive and identity remain unknown, succeeded in escaping the scene.
More from Libya Herald..
- Jalu trench motivated by security fears By Jamal Adel.
Tripoli, 5 January 2014:
A member of Jalu Local Council has said that the huge trench to be built around the oasis town will combat illegal immigration, drug dealing and armed ...
- Cleaners commended for honourable behaviour
Tripoli, 10 July 2013:
The Ministry of Local Government and the local council of Zliten, have honoured three garbage collectors for handing over a bag of gold and silver, which they found in...
- Derna security chief assassinated The new chief of the higher security committee in Derna, Colonel Mohammed Al-Hassi, was assassinated this afternoon when unknown assailants shot him outside a petrol station in the town. He died be...
- Security officer in critical condition following shooting in Derna Derna, 6 September:
A member of the security services was shot by unknown assailants in the eastern town of Derna on Tuesday, and is now in a critical condition in hospital.
The man has been ...
- No clashes between Zintan and Gharian: spokesman By Ahmed Elumami.
Tripoli, 22 May 2013:
Officials in Gharian have poured cold water on reports of an imminent clash between forces from the town and Zintan following the killing in Tripoli of...