No Result
View All Result
Monday, September 1, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Security and the south top priorities for Zeidan government

bytomlittle
December 20, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Tom Little.

Prime Minister Zeidan says security must be Libya’s top priority (Photo:George Grant)

Tripoli, 19 December:

Prime Minister Ali Zeidan said today, Wednesday, that he had chosen a military governor for the south, . . .[restrict]large swathes of which were declared closed military zones on Monday, although he did name the official.

Zeidan said the government was fully committed to making the south safer, as well as improving the situation in Libya more broadly: “trust me the government will take decisions and execute them”, Zeidan said, “and if we find ourselves incapable we will not continue. But you cannot build a castle in one day. It takes time.”

He announced that troops and warplanes will patrol the area to stop people and arms smuggling across Libya’s borders, saying: “We will not allow our country to be a transit point for these illegal activities.”

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

This comes one day after Zeidan said Libya’s top priority must be restoring security across the country, especially in the south, as he presented his programme of government to the General National Congress (GNC) in Tripoli yesterday.

Zeidan also explained that the GNC’s decision to close Libya’s borders with its southern neighbours in Sudan, Chad, Niger and Algeria was because of “internal issues” in southern Libya.

He explained that on his visit to the four states last week, he obtained guarantees from security and government officials there that they would monitor their borders with Libya closely and stop any attempts at trafficking goods, weapons or people.

The Prime Minister also revealed that he had secured reassurances from Algeria and Niger that they would keep up close surveillance of their borders with Mali, where Islamist militants currently control the north of the country.

Zeidan said it was key to improve the precarious security situation in southern Libya for stability across the region, emphasising that “Libya is no longer a state that threatens the security of others.”

“We will not be a source of terrorism, a source of violence, a source of bombs any more,” he said.

Zeidan said his government was also taking steps to improve living standards in the south, pointing to the visit of the culture minister to the area last week, where he opened a number of government centres.

In the speech, Zeidan discussed several other key issues and said that the government would submit a request to amend the constitutional declaration, some parts of which had impacted on his government’s ability to work.

The government is still in contact with the Iraq about Libyans currently being held in jails across the country, and Zeidan said that he had recently relayed letters to Nuri Al-Maliki and Jalal Talabani, and thanked them for their cooperation in the matter.

He also voiced his displeasure at a law passed by the GNC recently that made it responsible for appointing Libya’s diplomats.

Zeidan was at pains to stress that “the GNC is a legislative body, and we are an executive body”, and that it was up to his government to appoint diplomatic representatives because “it is not a political post”. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredGeneral National CongressgovernmentLibyaZeidan

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Tebu say Obari oil field protest over after meeting with minister

Benghazi Local Council to get funding at last

Benghazi Local Council to get funding at last

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.