Judges investigating Benghazi violence, says Interior Ministry
Tripoli, 23 December:
Judges have now begun looking into the recent violence in Benghazi, a spokesman for the Ministry of Interior said last night.
Majdi Al-Araffi, speaking at a press conference in Tripoli, said that the next stage would be legal proceedings into any recommendations made by the judges or the Attorney general.
Al-Araffi also said that since the latest bout of fighting broke out on Thursday, the security situation in the eastern city had been relatively stable.
Benghazi has seen a string of killings targeting senior security figures in recent months, in what some have seen as a coordinated campaign of assassinations, culminating in the murder of the city’s police chief, Faraj Drissi, last month.
More violence broke out in the city on Thursday after demonstrators gathered outside the General Security Directorate calling for the release of two prisoners they believed were being held there.
The protest escalated into a gun battle between security forces in the station and armed members of the crowd, and the ensuing clashes left a number of people dead and wounded.
Political, military and religious figures have spoken out in recent days to call for residents of the city to show self-restraint.
More from Libya Herald..
- Americans file murder charges in Chris Stevens’ killing
Tripoli, 7 August 2013:
The US authorities have filed criminal charges in the case of the attack on the US diplomatic compound in Benghazi on 11 September 2012 in which US Ambassador Chris Steve...
- Interior Ministry boosts efforts to integrate SSC into police
Tripoli, 1 January:
The Ministry of Interior announced today that it would increase the number of committees to receive members of the Supreme Security Committees looking to join the police from...
- Staff protest over violence closes Benghazi hospital
By Maha Ellawati.
Benghazi, 13 July 2013:
A violent outbreak between two feuding families in Benghazi’s Al-Jalah hospital has sparked an angry protest from medical staff, closing the premises...
- Shuwail presents plan to restore security in Benghazi
By Maha Ellawati.
Benghazi, 30 December:
High-profile government figures and military chiefs visited Benghazi last night to reveal their plans to restore security to the city before local...
- Fatwa Office condemns Benghazi violence
Tripoli, 21 December:
Dar Al-Ifta', the Fatwa Office, condemned the violence that has rocked Benghazi in past weeks, calling the events "sad, painful and tragic to Libya as a whole".