Explosion at Coptic church in Misrata kills two
By Maha Ellawati.
Benghazi, 30 December:
An explosion near the Coptic Orthodox Church in Misrata late yesterday evening killed two Egyptian men and left another three injured.
The explosion, reported to have been caused by a bomb, targeted a services building connected to the church in the city of Misrata, killing the Egyptian nationals and wounding three others at the same time.
News broke this morning when the Egyptian embassy in Tripoli received a call from Fr. Timotheus Bishara Adla, head of the Coptic Church in the Libyan captital, informing them that the church building in Misrata had been targeted by an explosion, Foreign Ministry spokesman Amru Rushdi said today.
Egypt’s Chargé d’Affaires in Libya, Hatim Abdel Qader, immediately contacted Fr. Marcus Zaghloul, head of the church in Misrata, to check on the welfare of the other church members. The embassy’s consul in Misrata, Tariq Dahroug, also visited the church to inspect the damage.
Staff at the Egyptian embassy in Tripoli have contacted the Interior and Foreign Ministries to hold urgent discussions about improving security arrangements around Coptic churches in Libya.
At the moment, it is not known who targeted the church or why they carried out the attack in Misrata yesterday.
More from Libya Herald..
- Head of Libya’s Copts speaks out on Misrata killing
By Tom Little.
Tripoli, 31 December:
The head of the Coptic Church in Libya, Father Timothaus Bishara Adly, today condemned the bomb attack in the port city of Misrata that left two Egyp...
- Egyptian Christian’s family assured about Tripoli jail death: Egyptian ambassador
Tripoli, 12 March 2013:
The family of Ezzat Attallah, who died in a Tripoli jail on Sunday, met with Egyptian Ambassador to Libya Hesham Abdel-Wahab yesterday, Monday.
Attallah, a Copt, had b...
- Egyptian foreign ministry warns citizens not to enter Libya illegally
Tripoli, 1 January:
The Egyptian Foreign Ministry today warned its citizens that they would face severe consequences if they tried to enter illegally, Libyan news agency LANA reported today.
- Egyptian Christians released
Tripoli, 11 April 2013:
Four Egyptians who were imprisoned in Benghazi on charges of proselytising have been released today, Thursday, according to the Middle East news agency MENA.
- No imminent plans to release imprisoned Christians
Tripoli, 27 March 2013:
Media reports that four foreign Christians held in prison in Benghazi for proselytising are to be released are not true, the Libya Herald has been told.