No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Shuwail presents plan to restore security in Benghazi

bytomlittle
December 30, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Shuwail presents plan to restore security in Benghazi

Interior Minister Ashour Shuwail, Chief of Staff Yusuf Al-Mangoush and other officials gathered at the meeting in Benghazi yesterday (Photo: Maha Ellawati)

By Maha Ellawati.

Interior Minister Ashour Shuwail, Chief of Staff Yusuf Al-Mangoush and other officials gathered at the meeting in Benghazi yesterday (Photo: Maha Ellawati)

Benghazi, 30 December:

High-profile government figures and military chiefs visited Benghazi last night to reveal their plans to restore security . . .[restrict]to the city before local officials and elders in light of the recent violence that has shaken the city.

Interior Minister Ashour Shuwail and army chief of staff Major General Yusuf Al-Mangoush told the meeting, was also attended by the head of the city’s local council, Mahmoud Buraziza, and head of the Security Directorate Mustafa Al-Raqiq, that the defence and interior ministries had plans to clear the city of weapons.

Shuwail said that the Interior Ministry had plans to carry out inspections across the city, and would confiscate any weapons they found. Any civilian caught carrying a weapon would also be arrested for 24 hours, according to the plan revealed yesterday.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli Interior Ministry: We thwarted attempted rocket attack on UN Mission’s Tripoli headquarters

Libya’s Tika Construction Chemicals company exports another shipment of its Xtreme porcelain tile adhesive and grouting materials to Grenada

He also urged residents of Benghazi to help rebuild their city, saying that the “government stands shoulder to shoulder” with the people in their efforts.

Meanwhile, Al-Mangoush highlighted the importance of cooperation between the armed forces and the Ministry of Interior in trying to put an end to the violence in Benghazi.

The chief of staff highlighted that the army was at a critical juncture, and that it was currently in the early stages of reconstruction after the revolution in 2011.

He said that the national army’s priority at the moment was the rehabilitation of its personnel, and integrating former revolutionaries into its ranks gradually, and that the plans to build the armed forces would start to bear fruit in 2015.

Local council chief Buraziza also urged his city’s residents to work towards the reconstruction of their city, but said that for meaningful change to come to Benghazi, his council must work with all civil society organisations.

In recent months Benghazi has seen a string of killings targeting security chiefs, in what some have seen as a coordinated campaign of assassinations, which culminated in the murder of former city police chief, Faraj Drissi.

Further violence between armed groups and the security services broke out earlier this month, when a demonstration calling for the release of two prisoners held at the Security Directorate descended into a shootout.

Religious leaders, members of the government and armed forces have all called for calm in the wake of the fighting in the city’s Al-Hawari district, which left several dead, and on Friday protesters gathered in Benghazi to call for an end to the violence. [/restrict]

Tags: Ashour ShuwailBenghazifeaturedLibyaMinistry of InteriorNational ArmyYusuf Al-Mangoush

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Ghariani says Libya faces “many challenges”

Ghariani says Libya faces "many challenges"

National Planning Council holds conference

National Planning Council holds conference

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.