No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

BP reconsidering its return to Libya

byNigel Ash
January 28, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
BP reconsidering its return to Libya

By Hadi Fornaji.

Tripoli, 27 January 2013:

BP has confirmed that . . .[restrict]it is reconsidering its decision this Spring to resume its exploration programme in Libya  The move comes in the wake of the attack on the Tigantourine  gas plant near In Amenas in Algeria earlier this month, in which 36 oil workers were killed, including a number of BP employees.

At the end of last May, BP announced that had reached an agreement with the National Oil Company and was resuming its exploration in Libya. The news came only a day after Shell said it was suspending its Libyan operations and paying off its local staff. One reason Shell gave for withdrawing was concerns over security.

RELATED POSTS

Abdel Sadig holds meetings with Shell and Secretary General of the Gas Exporting Countries Forum at Qatar’s LNG 2026 conference

ENI, in partnership with BP, NOC and LIA, commences drilling of deepwater exploration well in Gulf of Sirte

BP had hesitated for some months about picking up its exploration programme under a $900 million deal signed in 2009, which was suspended at the start of the revolution.

Until February 2011, BP had shot 3D seismic over offshore blocks in the Sirte Basin and onshore in the Ghadames basin, covering an area of 31,000 square kilometres. Its original Exploration and Production Sharing Agreement (EPSA) contract with NOC, signed in December 2007, included a commitment for five offshore and 12 onshore wells.

The deal struck with NOC  in May, included a provision that BP would be compensated for losses after it had declared Force Majeure 16 months earlier.

At the signing ceremony with NOC chairman Nuri Berruien,  BP’s Executive Vice-President for Exploration, Dr Michael Daly declared the Force Majeure lifting as a significant milestone for his company in Libya. He went on to say:  “We look forward to working with the NOC and our partners in the Libyan Investment Authority, to safely implement our drilling programme.”

It is concerns over that safety that are clearly now causing BP to review its decision. Drilling is not actually due to resume until this September. During the Algerian attack, the UK oil firm told Libya Herald, that it was reviewing its security in Libya but at present, still had very few expatriates on the ground here.

BP’s second thoughts may also have been influenced by the UK government’s urgent advice last Thursday, that all British citizens should quit Benghazi immediately, because of an imminent threat, and that no one should go to Libya except on essential business. London’s warning echoed a 6 January travel advisory from Washington for US citizens and has since been followed by Canada, Germany and the Netherlands. These moves have caused some anger and much frustration within the Zeidan government.

  [/restrict]

Tags: BPdrillingLibyasecurityShellUK warning

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post

Libyan-Tunisian border open again

Misrata clamps down: weapons ban

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • National Development Agency signs partnership agreement with Signify Philips to enhance lighting projects in Libya

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.