ID Card chief kidnapped from Tripoli office
By Hadi Fornaji.
Tripoli, 3 February 2013:
The head of the department due to begin issuing identity cards later this week was kidnapped this morning in Tripoli.
Dr Naji Bazena, director of the National Numbers Department was taken from his office in the Ras Hassan district by a group of armed men, according to Engineer Muhanad Mohamed Hamouda, writing on his Facebook page, who said he had witnessed the kidnapping. Bazena has not yet been located and police have not established who might have seized him.
The national ID card project was initiated in 2010 by Qaddafi. The original plan was to have green ID cards, bearing a picture of the dictator, issued to everyone by the end of the year. The cards carried biometric details, including DNA and blood groups.
Not many cards had been issued by the time the project was suspended after the revolution. However, it was revived in the last months of the El-Kib government with a brand new design. The scheme had been originally come under the Ministry of the Interior but responsibility was transferred to the prime minister’s office, where it still resides.
More from Libya Herald..
- Libya Herald servers fail twice this morning: apologies
Tripoli, 10 October 2013 9:23am:
We must apologise that the Libya Herald web site has twice failed this morning, because of what we have been told are unprecedented levels of usage. ...
- Anoud Senussi “freed” and flown to Sebha By Ashraf Abdullah Wahab
Tripoli, 7 September 2013:
Anoud Senussi, the daughter of Qaddafi’s former spy chief, is understood to have been released this evening by her kidnappers and flo...
- Benghazi editor’s kidnapped son released “for ransom” By Noora Ibrahim.
Tripoli, 9 January 2014:
The kidnapped six year-old son of a Benghazi newspaper editor has been released by his abductors, four days after he was seized.
There are un...
- Defence Minister’s son freed in Gharghour: report By Ahmed Elumami.
Tripoli, 15 November 2013:
There are unconfirmed reports on social media that the kidnapped son of Defence Minister Abdullah Al-Thini was freed today in Gharghour.
- Anoud Senussi “protected”, not kidnapped – congressman By Ahmed Elumami.
Tripoli, 4 September 2013:
Anoud Senussi was not kidnapped on Monday, a Sebah Congressman claimed this evening, but was taken by an SSC unit, anxious that she was not b...