No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Federalists pull out of 15 February Cyrenaica demonstrations

byMichel Cousins
February 15, 2013
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Federalists pull out of 15 February Cyrenaica demonstrations

One of many tents that appeared lately in Benghazi with armed civilians

One . . .[restrict]of many tents that appeared lately in Benghazi with armed civilians

By Ahmed Ruyahem.

Benghazi, 14 February 2013:

In a surprise announcement on Al-Ro’ya TV last night, Wednesday, the Cyrenaica federalist block announced that it would not be taking part in demonstrations tomorrow that it had originally instigated. It called on its supporters not to turn up. It had made the decision, it said, “for the safety of our communities, the preservation of national unity, our social harmony and to avoid the public getting involved in conflicts at the behest of various political entities and groups.”

The last point refers to concerns that other groups either opposed to the revolution or with different agendas might try to use the occasion for violence.

The block said that the decision was also in response to “a request by the GNC and government in their recent visits for more time to answer the public’s demands”.

RELATED POSTS

Libya’s Tika Construction Chemicals company exports another shipment of its Xtreme porcelain tile adhesive and grouting materials to Grenada

“Made in Libya” exhibition to be held in Benghazi from 10 to 13 August

On Sunday and Monday, a 26-man delegation comprising members of Congress, NGOs, political figures and led by the leader of Tripoli Local Council, Sadat Elbadri, held talks in Benghazi with Ahmed Zubair Senussi, head of the self-proclaimed Cyrenaica Transitional Council, and other federalists leaders. The delegation also included two members of Tripoli Local Council and Mohamed Harari, the former Minister of Local Government in the Kib administration.

“We were warmly welcomed and had several meetings in which we talked about Cyrenaica’s demands,” Elbadri told the Libya Herald today. “These included the return to Benghazi a number of organisations such as of the NOC and Libya. We said we have no problems with that.”

The delegation is seen to have been acting on the government’s behalf. Elbadri has a good relationship with Ahmed Zubair whom, he says, he first met in secret in Alexandria in 2005.

The Tripoli Council leader said that Zubair and the federalists had complained to the delegation that they had been misrepresented by the previous government and the media and that the name “Cyrenaica” was being deliberately shunned on political grounds.

The federalists said they wanted positive dialogue with the present government, Elbadri stated, noting that he had no issues with referring to the east of the country as Cyrenaica.

In the announcement pulling out of tomorrow’s demonstrations, the federalists said that they nonetheless would continue to “stand behind the legitimate demands” of Cyrenaica and continue to the “struggle for our rights” if their demands were not met. At the same time, they pointedly bowed to the authority of the government and Congress, saying that “the security of the demonstrators, public institutions and private businesses is the sole responsibility of specialised security branches of the government”.

The decision to pull out of the protests has been welcomed by a number of leading Cyrenaica federalists. Faraj el-Kezza, a federalist involved in the setting up of a political party believed to support strong decentralisation, told the Libya Herald it was the right thing to do.

“I think it is the proper move because of the security situation today. We cannot be responsible for any suspicious or violent acts during the demonstration given the large number of political groups and varying agendas participating in the demonstration. On the streets today we see many small tents with young men dresses in civilian clothing and armed with weapons, we assume that they represent the government but we are not really sure who they are.

“The federalist block is seeking to maintain its gains and to work on having a considerable representation on the 60-member Constitutional Commission,” he said.

It is not known what effect the federalists’ eleventh hour announcement will have on tomorrow’s Cyrenaica protests. Many of those planning to turn out see the demonstrations as a means of pressurising the government into investing more in Benghazi.

 

 

  [/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziCyrenaicafeaturedLibya

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Suspect in 2011 Hassan Al-Jaber killing arrested: report

Suspect in 2011 Hassan Al-Jaber killing arrested: report

Assassination attempt in Benghazi

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.