Army says it will impose order in Kufra following new deadly clashes
Tripoli, 26 February 2013:
The Ministry of Defence has announced that it is going to act “firmly and decisively” against anyone breaking the law in Kufra. The statement following the killing of a senior Zway tribal figure in the town on Sunday.
Abdul-Hamid Al-Kidwa was shot dead near a buffer zone in the town’s Al-Jazeera Al-Khadra district manned by the 17 February brigade. He was reportedly trying to prevent clashes between Zways and Tebus. It is not clear who killed him. Tebus have denied they were responsible, insisting that he was a much respected figure in the town, that they had good relations with him and that his ex-wife was Tebu.
Another man, named as Ibrahim Mustafa, was said to have been wounded at the same time.
The clashes were sparked by the killing the previous day another Zway citizen who has been named as Mohamed Ali Abu-Gharara. It is alleged he was killed by Tebus. One report has him being killed when his car was targeted and attacked by a Tebu group. Another has him being shot when he refused an army demand that he stop his vehicle.
Kufra has been the scene of recurrent clashes for over a year between Zways and Tebus. Today, it was reported calm but tense.
More from Libya Herald..
- Fresh violence flares in Kufra
By Farah Waleed and Hadi Fornaji.
Tripoli, 10 April 2013:
Fresh violence has broken out on the south-eastern town of Kufra, scene earlier last year of heavy communal fighting between its Zway...
- New fatal clashes in Kufra
By Michel Cousins.
Tripoli, 8 January 2013:
Clashes at the university campus in Kufra today, Tuesday, left two people dead, according to Libyan news agency LANA.
It quoted the head of Kufr...
- The other frontier warriors
By Beata Oleksy.
Tripoli, 13 January 2013:
The small military campsite overlooking desert routes from Chad, Niger and Sudan is hidden behind a rocky outcrop. For the past year this place ...
- ICRC evacuate Kufra wounded to Tripoli
By Michel Cousins.
Tripoli, 16 June:
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) has evacuated at least 50 wounded Tebu people from Kufra. They have been flown to hospitals in Tr...
- Kufra election boycott going ahead as 1,000 Tebu are disbarred from vote
By George Grant.
Tripoli, 4 July:
More than 1,000 Tebu from the southern desert town of Kufra have been disbarred from voting in Saturday’s elections, it has emerged.
The decision, whi...