No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya and Egypt to open border consulates

byMichel Cousins
March 8, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ahmed Elumami.

Tripoli, 7 March 2013:

Libya and Egypt are to open consulates just across the joint border – a Libyan one . . .[restrict]in Mersa Matruh and an Egyptian one in Tobruk – in a move that is hoped will ease traffic and visa issues between the two countries. The announcement was made today, Thursday, in Cairo by the Prime Minister, Ali Zeidan. He arrived last night, Wednesday, in the Egyptian capital for discussions with his Egyptian counterpart, Hisham Qandil, on relations between the two countries.

The move should make it easier for locals on both sides of the border to obtain visas to cross and visit relatives on the other side.

“We are both working on making things easier,” said Qandil at a press conference after the meeting.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Railroads signs MoU with Chinese BFI Consortium for rail line to Egypt

23 flights of international aid from 12 states arrive in Libya within 24 hours – government asks UN to coordinate effort

There was chaos for several days on the border when a number of Egyptians from Sollum and the surrounding area blockaded it in protest at new Libyan rules under which all Egyptians are now required to obtain visas to enter Libya.

The protestors were mainly from the Awlad Ali tribe which is found on both sides of the border. During the Qaddafi era, members of the tribe were allowed into Libya without restrictions.

At his press conference last Thursday, the Prime Minister said that non-Libyan nationals of the same tribe in neighbouring states would have to have visas to enter Libya. He was referring to Awlad Ali, half of whom live on the Libyan side of the frontier and the other half in Egypt.

Interior minister Ashour Shuwail announced on 23 February that the government had decided that all Egyptians entering Libya had to have a visa.

The decision had already been put into effect when the border was reopened on 19 February after the five-day closure by the Libyan government because of concerns about security during the second anniversary celebrations of the 17 February Revolution.

The change resulted in Egyptian Awlad Ali tribe blockading the crossing at Musaid, stopping cargo trucks and passengers. At the height of the crisis, an estimated 8,000 vehicles were said to have been prevented from crossing the frontier.

The crossing was finally reopened last Monday after mediation with tribal elders on both sides of the border.

The decision also sparked anti-Libya protests in the Egyptian town of Mersa Matruh with some residents raising the green flag and renaming one of the streets after the “martyr Muammar Qaddafi”. They claimed that, as Arabs, they should be allowed to enter Libya freely without any restrictions.

Ali Zeidan, who is accompanied on the visit to Egypt by Deputy Interior Minister Omar Khadrawi and Libyan intelligence chief Salem Hassi, also said that he had discussed with the Egyptian premier a number of issues related to the economic and trade cooperation between the two countries.

He also raised the issues of Qaddafi loyalists in Egypt, and Libyan frozen investments there. In regard to the latter, he said that the Egyptian government had not made a decision to release them as yet. “We have to apply to a committee to release those assets,” he said. “We will ask the Egyptian authorities to cooperate with us in that regard.” [/restrict]

Tags: EgyptLibya

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
INTERPOL database passport checks start at Tripoli airport

INTERPOL database passport checks start at Tripoli airport

Attack on Benghazi Council offices condemned

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.