No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tripoli TV station attacked, officials kidnapped

byMichel Cousins
March 9, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Tripoli TV station attacked, officials kidnapped

By Ahmed Elumami

Tripoli, 7 March 2013:

Several hundred gunmen stormed Alassema . . .[restrict]TV station this afternoon, Thursday, in Tripoli’s Gurgi district, smashed the place up and kidnapped five members of staff including the channel’s manager and its chief executive officer.

According to Rajab Ben Gazi, one of Alassema’s presenters who was present during the attack those involved were a mix of revolutionaries, Islamists and civilians.  “Some of them were shouting ‘the blood of the martyrs will not go in vain’. Others set fire to part of the building and  destroyed a lot of the channel equipment,” he said.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Another member of staff told the Libya Herald that some were dressed in uniform and others in civilian clothes. They accused the station of causing fitna – dissension and discord.

The gunmen then seized channel owner Juma Osta and his secretary, Mohamed Atif, its former executive director, Nabil Shebani, and two Alassema presenters, Mohamed Huni and Mahmoud Sharkisi.

Shebani, who is no longer with Alassema, apparently taken for attempting to film the militias as they were seizing Osta.

“They accused us of being linked to Mahmoud Jibril (the head of the National Force Alliance) and said that our manager, Juma Usta, is a Qaddafi loyalists because he worked as manager of a Chamber Commerce and Industry during  the Qaddafi regime,” Ben Gazi said.

“The gunmen were asking about the editors of the channel and who was the responsible for the news tickers,” he added.

”They told me to leave Tripoli immediately and return to Misrata.”

The gunmen later released Sharkisi, Huni and Atif. Sharkisi said that he had been treated respectfully and that no one touched or hurt him.

Osta and Shebani are still missing.

Following the attack, a force from the Chief General Staff arrived to assess the situation to take necessary measures to secure the place and assess the damage.

There are allegations circulating in Tripoli this evening linking the attack to Tuesday’s seizure of Congress members and the attempt to force them to pass the “Political Isolation Law” which would ban senior Qaddafi officials from office, and the shooting at Congress President Mohamed Magarief’s car afterwards.

This is not the first attack against Alassema. At the beginning of February, an Alassema TV crew outside the General National Congress building in Tripoli were attacked and beaten by security guards.

Last August, Shebani and two Alassema journalists were arrested by the Supreme Security Committee which objected to the station’s  coverage of the destruction by Salafists of the Al-Sha’ab mosque in Tripoli.

Ironically, earlier today before the raid and seizure, the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) issued a statement saying that it was deeply concerned about attacks on media organisations in Libya and threats against journalists.  It called on Libyans to respect freedom of the press.

 

 

 

  [/restrict]

Tags: AlassemaLibya

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post

Libya: The Transition to Environmental Sustainability

Zeidan meets with Egyptian border tribal leaders over visas

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • National Development Agency signs partnership agreement with Signify Philips to enhance lighting projects in Libya

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.