FIFA keeps international match ban in Libya
By Seraj Essul
Tripoli, 15 April 2013:
FIFA, the International Federation of Football Association, has not yet decided whether Libya still host international matches.
Despite strong rumours that a ban on holding international games here, imposed after the revolution, was about to be lifted, FIFA has not yet informed Anwar Al-Tashani, the president of the Libyan football federation, whether this will change.
“FIFA haven’t lifted the ban yet,” a disappointed Tashani told the Libya Herald, but declined to make any further comment. Sources close to the Libyan Federation suggest that one reason FIFA may be continuing the block on international matches, is that there is still no new international stadium in Tripoli.
Libya’s next international match, a World Cup qualifier on 7 July against the Democratic Republic of the Congo, is supposed to be played in Libya, if FIFA lift the ban.
It is not yet known where it will now be rescheduled. In the past the Libya national football team has had to travel to Egypt, Tunisia or Morocco to play international matches that would normally have been hosted in Libya.
More from Libya Herald..
- FIFA ban lifted FIFA, the International Federation of Football Association, decided yesterday, Tuesday, to lift a ban which has prevented Libya hosting football matches for the last two and a half years.
- Libya 69th in FIFA rankings after international friendly By Seraj Essul.
Tripoli, 15 August 2013:
No goals were scored in yesterday's friendly international football match between Libya and the Central African Republic, but the FIFA-listed game too...
- Libya team in South Africa for African Nations Championship Cup By Seraj Essul.
Tripoli, 5 January 2014:
The Libyan football team has flown to South Africa to take part in the African Nations Championship (CHAN) which runs from 11 January to 1 February.
- Goal in extra time puts Libya through to Africa Nations quarter finals By Callum Paton.
Tripoli, 22 January 2014:
Libya scored a last-minute extra-time goal against Congo yesterday, taking the team through to the quarter-finals of the African Nations Champio...
- Home or away? Confusion about where 2013 CAF matches will be played
By Mohamed Assed.
Tripoli, 2 February 2013:
There has been confusion about whether or not Libya is able to host 2013 Confederation of African Football (CAF) games, following conflicting r...