No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Bomb threat stops Libya Movie Awards

bythomwestcott
April 26, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Bomb threat stops Libya Movie Awards

The Mahari theatre at 6:30pm was locked and the street deserted when, an hour earlier, it had been bustling with filmmakers and film enthusiasts (Photo: Tom Westcott, Libya Herald)

By Tom Westcott.

The Mahari theatre at 6:30 pm was locked and the street deserted when, an hour earlier, it had been bustling with filmmakers and film enthusiasts (Photo: Tom Westcott, Libya Herald)

Tripoli, 26 April 2013:

A bomb threat reportedly made this afternoon has stopped the Libya Movie Awards, a three-day film . . .[restrict]festival which was being held at the Mahari theatre, in the Radisson Blu Hotel.

Initially, no announcement was made to the audience of some 300, most of whom were Libyans. However, European diplomats present were alerted by their security details and Libya Herald staff attending the event saw some 20 people suddenly leave the theatre during the first film.

The show, which was due to run until 8:30 pm was, however, stopped after the first film ended. To avoid causing panic, organisers did not mention the fact that there was a security alert, apologised, and asked the rest of the audience to leave.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

On the day of first direct Tripoli to Rome flight, MoU signed between Libyan Civil Aviation and its Italian counterpart

The EU believe that the threat was not specifically targeted at the film event. However, they are reviewing whether to continue with it tomorrow.

“The threat was not specifically against the Libya Movie Awards,” the EU programme manager for civil society and culture, Samir Gharbaoui, told the Libya Herald this evening, “but for us, security prevails, and we cannot put anyone at risk,” he said.

“We have decided to put everything on hold until further notice,” Gharbaoui said. “The coordination team from the organisers of the event – the EU, the Italian Cultural Institute and NGO 1Libya – are now deciding what to do, and we will make a formal announcement in due course.”

After everyone had left, the theatre doors were locked and security officials stationed at barriers closing off the side road leading to the theatre.

Libyan filmmaker Salhe Gawan, who has entered two films into the Libya Movie Awards competition, told the Libya Herald that the early finish to the evening came as a surprise: “They said we are so, so sorry but we have a problem and so we must finish now.” He added that they did not say that there was any danger. “Everybody then went outside and went home,” Gawan said.

Another Libyan, who arrived late and tried to get into the theatre via the inside entrance in the hotel said: “They told us it was closed because they were doing some normal procedures. ” He said people were saying that there was a security problem but no-one had officially announced this.

Five films were to be screened tonight by European and Yemeni filmmakers. Only the first film, Merry go round Judy by Italian filmmaker Adriano Sforzi, was shown.

Last night there were over 500 people at the event, which aims to help create a Libyan film industry and build a community of filmmakers. [/restrict]

Tags: bombbomb threatLibyaMahariMovie awardsTripoli

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

SCC break up phoney road block

Gunmen attack Derna brigade HQ; car bomb discovered

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.