No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Oil minister says fuel subsidies to go by 2016

byNigel Ash
May 4, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Oil minister says fuel subsidies to go by 2016

(file photo).

By Nigel Ash.

The last drop of fuel subsidy due in 2016

Tripoli, 4 May 2013:

The government is to phase out fuel subsidies within the next three years, according to oil . . .[restrict]minister Abdulbari Ali Abdel-Hadi Al-Arusi.

It has long been argued that the subsidy bill for fuel and by extension electricity is too high. The government had proposed beginning a phasing out of subsidies next year, but had given no time line for when the process would be completed.  Therefore Arusi’s announcement that it is planned to remove state support within three years  comes as a surprise.

“The authorities intend to remove subsidies on all fuel, including both gasoline and diesel,” Reuters reported the minister as saying, “We expect the implementation of this process to take place within the next three years and there will be awareness campaigns for citizens in order to prepare them”.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

According to  an IMF global report published last month, (Subsidy Reform: lessons and implications) fully 16.4 percent of government revenues go toward subsidies for petroleum products. Since Libyan refineries do not produce sufficient supplies for the domestic market, this means that refined product is imported at world prices and sold at a substantial loss pumps in Libya. At the equivalent of €0.18 a litre, Libyan motorists enjoy the fifth cheapest petrol in the world.

In addition, the IMF calculated that 1.85 percent of government spending went on subsidising electric power.  An assessment earlier this year by the General Electricity Company of Libya (GECOL) suggested that if electricity were sold at commercial rates, every family of five would be looking to pay LD 4,000 a year more for their power and light.

With power being sold at the equivalent of one Euro cent/kWh, GECOL not only runs at a loss but, because it can accumulate no funds for fresh investment, must look the state budget for all new capital expenditure. Further, it appears that GECOL’s problems are compounded by a failure among consumers to settle their bills.

Moreover, because electricity is so cheap, there is no incentive for users to conserve power, meaning that, with the current rate of subsidy, the government’s bill is almost  bound to go up.

A recent Tripoli conference on renewable energy was told that tapping into Libya’s considerably solar and wind power potential could only happen if realistic consumer prices could defray the required capital investment.

[/restrict]

Tags: 2016Arusifeaturedfuel price increaseLibyarefineriesthree years

Related Posts

LAIP delegation visits Maputo, Mozambique to recover seized rice project
Business

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio holds coordination meeting with Nigerian embassy on Transit Corridors Project

November 28, 2025
Libyan Export Promotion Centre changes to become Libyan Export Development Authority – new logo adopted
Business

Libyan Export Development Authority to launch subsidised direct shipping service to Sub-Saharan African ports

November 28, 2025
LBBC concludes productive Benghazi visit strengthening UK-Libya business collaboration
Business

Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

November 28, 2025
Toyota Libya starts training 8 youth as part of its regular “Discover Your Talent” training programme
Business

Toyota Libya signs MoU with Ministry of Labour and Rehabilitation to strengthen cooperation in training and skills development

November 27, 2025
NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port
Business

NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

November 27, 2025
LBC leading delegation to Miami for America’s Food and Beverage Show – 18 to 20 September
Business

Libyan Business Council hosts Italian Consul and Commercial Attaché to discuss Italy’s Residency and Investment Programmes

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Attempt to kidnap head of discrimination NGO thwarted by militia

Attempt to kidnap head of discrimination NGO thwarted by militia

Towards healing and reconciliation: The Libya Initiative launched

Towards healing and reconciliation: The Libya Initiative launched

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.