No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Collapsed building in Tripoli built in 1920’s or 30’s: Housing Minister Sherief

bySami Zaptia
May 11, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
We have created an emergency plan for any future building collapses: Sadat Badri – Tripoli Local Council

Housing and Utlities Minister Ali Sherief (left) (photo:Sami Zaptia).

Housing and Utlities Minister Ali Sherief (left) at yesterday’s pres conference (Photo:Sami Zaptia).

By Sami Zaptia.

 

Tripoli, 11 May 2013:

At a late press conference held last night, Friday, Housing and Utilities Minister Ali Sherief said that the house that had collapsed earlier in the day killing five people, including a pregnant woman, was probably built in the 1920’s or 30’s.

Sherief added that many of the buildings in the area were due for demolition and that in about 2006-7, under the former regime, many tenants were compensated and had vacated the properties. To compound this problem, many tenants had, without planning permission, added new floors to these very old and weak buildings – without seeking advice from engineers.

RELATED POSTS

Contracts signed with Turkish company for installation of air navigation and ground communication systems at seven eastern-controlled airports

Turkish Trade Minister’s visit and Roundtable: New Libyan Turkish Bank to be established, Letters of Guarantee problem, restarting 2011 stalled contracts discussed

Unfortunately, Sherief added, the government had not demolished the buildings and they were, due to the housing shortage, subsequently re-occupied by new tenants. The current tenants are now refusing to vacate them until the government provides alternative accommodation, he explained.

The Minister took the opportunity to warn the public not to re-occupy housing that was previously vacated on the basis that it was unsafe to live in.

Looking forward, Minister Sherief said that the Housing Ministry had a three point plan in response to the building collapse. First, it is going to conduct an audit of the area and the quality and quantity of the housing in it. He admitted that his Ministry had little information about the housing in the area.

Secondly, a technical audit of buildings in the area would be conducted and tenants would be warned if they were found to be living in buildings that were in danger of falling. And finally, Minister Sherief informed that the government was providing temporary rented accommodation to those affected, because no permanent housing was available due to the housing shortage, as well as financial help with the rent.

In the short term Housing Minister Sherief also revealed that the government was going to build 1,200 prefabricated houses in Tripoli as a stop gap measure until permanent housing is ready. This process will be replicated all over Libya, the Minister added. [/restrict]

Tags: Ali SheriefcolonialconstructionItalianMinister of Housing and UtilitiesUN

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Chinese construction company has returned, discussions with Turks and Brazilians ongoing – Housing Minister

Chinese construction company has returned, discussions with Turks and Brazilians ongoing – Housing Minister

We have created an emergency plan for any future building collapses: Sadat Badri – Tripoli Local Council

UN Resolution 1973 says there must be compensation for foreign companies: Housing Minister

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.