No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Car bomb by Benghazi hospital kills three

byMichel Cousins
May 13, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Car bomb by Benghazi hospital kills three

By Maha Ellawati and Ayman Amzein.

The scene outside Al-Jalaa hospital today  (Photo: Abdullah Doma)

Benghazi, 13 May 2013:

A massive car bomb exploded in Benghazi this afternoon in a parking area . . .[restrict]outside Al-Jalaa hospital,

Three people died, according to the director of the hospital, Mohamed Bilaeid. He told the Libya Herald the body of one had been taken intact into the hospital and unrecognisable burnt body parts of two others had also been gathered. The two had been in the vehicle that blew up, officials say.

People at the site, however, say at least 12 people died. An entire family in another vehicle near the car bomb were said to be among the dead. A boy walking nearby was also reported to have been killed.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Islamist accused of assassinating four in US Benghazi Consulate in 2012 arrives under arrest in Washington DC

LBC Eastern Branch holds Benghazi Forum

An official at the Interior Ministry has denied the higher figures, confirming the number at three. He told the Libya Herald said that six people had also been injured,  including a woman and children.

Locals report as many as 30 having been wounded, almost most of them not seriously.

The bomb went off round 3 pm, sending up a pall of smoke and dust. It was visiting time at the hospital, and the car park was busy. The blast caused extensive damage to buildings, including the end section of the hospital, a restaurant, shops and computer training centres. Half an hour after the explosion, an apartment was still seen to be on fire.

More than a dozen cars were destroyed.

According to the ministry official, initial investigations indicated that home-made bomb was put under a car. “We are still investigating,” he said.

So far there is no indication who was responsible. “We cannot point fingers at anyone at the moment,” said the official. “Bomb experts at the site are gathering information. We will give a statement later.”

One theory is that the explosion was not a car bomb but explosive used by fishermen.

However, angry crowds gathered at the site, blaming Islamist militants from Derna and demanding they be crushed. Outside the city’s Tibsesti Hotel, an impromptu demonstration took place later, with also people blaming Chief of Staff Yousef Mangoush for the city’s lack of security and demanding he be sacked immediately. They also demanded Benghazi City Council members resign.

A website supposedly belonging to an Islamist group calling itself the Islamic Front of Derna Mujahideen Forces has claimed responsibility but at present little credence is given to it.

Swift condemnation of the attack came from Benghazi Local Council leader Mahmoud Abu Raziza, who was one of the first to visit the site, and from the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) which called it “criminal”. It called on all Libyans during “this critical phase” to unite against terrorism, attacks and efforts to destabilise the country. [/restrict]

Tags: BenghazifeaturedLibya

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Shuwail flies to Benghazi as Congress cancels session over bomb blast

Shuwail flies to Benghazi as Congress cancels session over bomb blast

We still won’t have security: Ports Authority on RPG attack

We still won’t have security: Ports Authority on RPG attack

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.