No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Mortar attack misses Corinthia, hits OAP flat

bythomwestcott
July 23, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Mortar attack misses Corinthia, hits OAP flat

The burnt out wreckage of the car, from which the mortar - apparently aimed at the Corinthia Hotel, in the background -was launched (Photo: Tom Westcott, Libya Herald)

By Tom Westcott.

The burnt out wreckage of the car, from which the mortar – apparently aimed at the Corinthia Hotel -was launched. The Corinthia and the damaged flat can be seen in the background (Photo: Tom Westcott, Libya Herald)

Tripoli, 23 July 2013:

A mortar attack, apparently targeting Tripoli’s five-star Corinthia hotel, missed its intended target and blew a . . .[restrict]hole instead in an elderly couple’s flat.

The missile appears to have been launched from a vehicle left in the car park of some blocks of flats behind the luxury hotel, at around 4 pm today. The device never made it to the hotel, however, and instead hit the edge of one of the blocks of flats, setting it alight.

An elderly couple and a home help were in the flat at the time but no-one was injured. Local people and the fire brigade extinguished both the fire in the flat and the burning car.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

REAoL and Total Energies discuss implementing Corinthia Hotel car park solar energy project

The mortar hit and damaged a flat where an elderly couple live (Photo: Tom Westcott, Libya Herald)

A resident from the flats told the Libya Herald that he had left his house five minutes before the explosion took place. He had reached the end of the road that leads towards Tripoli Towers, he said, when he heard the blast. He turned back and saw a man run out of the car park and jump into a waiting car, which then sped away.

“I went back to the car park and saw a car burning,” he said, “but this car was not there when I left my house five minutes before.”

The man showed journalists the burnt-out footwell of the vehicle, which was full of charred wires. He said this was where the missile had been launched from, and showed how the vehicle had been positioned so the mortar was on a trajectory for the Corinthia.

The mortar casing was recovered and Libya Herald reporters witnessed it being put in the back of what appeared to be a civilian vehicle, which was then driven away.

The mortar casing was recovered, put in the boot of a civilian vehicle, and driven away (Photo: Tom Westcott, Libya Herald)

A member of the public told the Libya Herald that the casing was a type 107 mortar. The Soviet-made 107mm M1938 mortar was used extensively during the Libyan revolution.

Although there is a large stretch of wasteland between the flats and and the hotel, these mortars can reach distances of up to 6,300 metres.

There was a marked absence of police or security personnel on the scene. One man claimed to be a policeman but he was not wearing a uniform. There was some suspicion and hostility towards journalists.

Guests in the Corinthia reported hearing a loud explosion. Pople working on the 16th floor of one of the five towers of the Dat Elemad nearby, heard the blast and reported that the building shook.

The mortar was apparently launched from the footwell of a vehicle, which was destroyed in the blast (Photo: Tom Westcott, Libya Herald)
[/restrict]

Tags: Corinthia HotelexplosionfeaturedLibyamortar attackTripoli

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Arab British Award for Culture 2013: three days left to apply

Libya and Morocco sign trade agreement

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.