No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Gunmen at Tripoli Airport prevent Qatar Airways plane landing

byMichel Cousins
August 5, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ashraf Abdul Wahab.

Tripoli, 4 August 2013:

A Qatar Airways flight from Doha to Tripoli today was reported to have landed instead . . .[restrict]in Alexandria after an armed group forced air traffic control staff at Tripoli International Airport to deny it permission to land there.

“We tried to negotiate with the armed group but did not succeed,” an airport official said. The plane was then diverted to Egypt because of fears that there might be trouble awaiting it at Tripoli’s Mitiga airport or even at Misrata or Benghazi. There were, the source said, “a considerable number of Libyans on board”.

According to the source, the flight refuelled at Alexandria and then returned to Doha. It is not known if any passengers disembarked at Alexandria.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

ITA to launch new Tripoli-Milan service

The incident comes a day after a group of men forced their way into the Qatar Airways office at the airport and ordered staff to leave. The group reportedly said that they intended to prevent Qatari passenger and cargo aircraft from landing in Libya, although they would not say why. According to sources at the airport, they also said that they intended to force the closure of the downtown Qatar Airways office in Tripoli Tower.

Yesterday’s incident was condemned by the Interior Ministry which said that the attackers represented “only themselves”. In a statement, it described it as a “shameful” act that would send the wrong message about Libya to the international community and foreign companies and so hinder economic development and reconstruction projects.

Two months ago, Qatar Airways suspended flights to and from Benghazi after militiamen forced non-Libyans arriving on a flight from Doha back onto the plane and prevented Libyans from boarding it for the return flight to the Qatari capital. According to a Benghazi Local Council member at the time, the militiamen accused Qatar of interfering in Libya’s internal affairs.

There have been periodic protests in Tripoli, Benghazi and elsewhere as well as on social media sites alleging Qatari interference in Libya. These tend to surface at times of crisis. In May, there were anti-Qatar demonstrations in Tripoli, Benghazi and other towns after armed groups besieging the Ministries of Foreign Affairs and Justice in Tripoli in support of the Political Isolation Law. At the time the demonstrators accused Qatar of involvement in the sieges and of backing Libyan Salafists and the Muslim Brotherhood.

Qatar strongly denied that accusations and was backed by the Prime Minister, Ali Zeidan, who said that there was no evidence of Qatari interference.

Qatar Airways, which has been flying between Tripoli and Doha since 2003, reintroduced scheduled services between Doha and Tripoli in February last year following the revolution. Initially, the route was served three-times a week, via Alexandria, but due to demand the service went daily last August. Flights became non-stop in June.

It is a popular route with Libyans many of whom like to transit through Doha to other destinations in the Gulf and further east. Qatar Airways also flies cargo to Europe from Tripoli. [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaQatarQatar AirwaysTripoli

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Misrata murder suspect arrested

US embassy to remain closed five more days

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.