No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Communal divisions surface over third border crossing

byNigel Ash
August 23, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Communal divisions surface over third border crossing

Nalut, whose council says it was not consulted over the third crossing

By Ahmed Elumami.

Nalut, whose council says it was not consulted over the third crossing

Tripoli, 21 August 2013:

Nalut Local Council has protested angrily at the Ministry of Transport’s plans to create a third . . .[restrict]crossing on the Tunisian border at Mashhad Salih.

The current frontier posts are at Ras Jedir on the coast and Dehiba-Wazin further south.  The new one would be half way between the two and could stimulate economic growth in the area.

The head of Nalut local council, Saleh Salem Warregh told the Libya Herald  that he had called for an urgent meeting with the Transport Minister, Abdel-Qader Ahmed. He said that the local community had not been consulted  by the ministry about the scheme.

RELATED POSTS

Crossings at Libyan Tunisian Wazin Dehiba land border up to 1.1 million in 2024

Libya, Algeria and Tunisia agree on further cooperation on land transport

There were, he said, security issues around the planned new frontier post, not least, he maintained, because it was in an area where Qaddafi supporters still moved freely.

He continued that he believed that neither the army command nor the defence ministry had been consulted on the security implications of the new link.

“I believe that the third crossing is a tribal problem,” he said, “and it is also a reward for ousted  members of the former regime and a punishment for the revolutionaries”.

Warregh also criticised the likely high cost of building a new road to Mashhad Salih, which is roughly equidistant between the congested coastal frontier post at Ras Jedir and the Dehiba-Wazin crossing.  He said that the money would be far better spent on upgrading and expanding the Ras Jedir frontier facilities.

Warregh also said that Libya’s border with Tunisia was relatively short and there was no necessity for a third crossing place.

Communal issues are seen to be at the heart of the opposition. Forces from Nalut, a Amazigh town, effectively control the Dehiba-Wazin crossing while those from Zuwara, another Amazigh town, have much the same role at the Ras Jedir crossing. It is being suggested that the Amazigh are worried that they would not control the planned third crossing. [/restrict]

Tags: AmazeighDehiba-WazinfeaturedLibyaMashhad SalihnalutRas JedirTunisia

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post

Petrol tanker driver escapes

I am an authentic Libya - Zeidan

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • National Development Agency signs partnership agreement with Signify Philips to enhance lighting projects in Libya

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.