No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Ukrainian MV Etel sails away after six-week Benghazi seizure

byNigel Ash
September 2, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Ukrainian MV Etel sails away after six-week Benghazi seizure

Library shot of the MV Etel released today after six weeks detention in Benghazi

By Seraj Essul.

Library shot of the MV Etel released today after six weeks
detention in Benghazi

Tripoli, 1 September 2013:

The Ukrainian car transporter MV Etel was finally permitted to sail out of Benghazi harbour this . . .[restrict]afternoon, after six weeks of detention, leaving in its wake a furious row between Benghazi businessmen, some of whom claim they are still out of pocket.

The MV Etel was detained because a sister ship, the MV Faina operated by the same shipping company, Tomex Team, this March failed to deliver a cargo of 597 cars from Jordan to Benghazi, taking them instead to Ukraine.

The vehicles were impounded by the Ukrainian authorities. The Libyan consignees maintained that they sought the release of the cars worth some $16 million, through the Ukrainian courts. In the end however, when the MV Etel arrived with its own cargo 220 vehicles on 21 July,  the investors seized the vessel and detained the 19 crew, later backing up their action with an order from Benghazi North court.

RELATED POSTS

Libya’s Tika Construction Chemicals company exports another shipment of its Xtreme porcelain tile adhesive and grouting materials to Grenada

“Made in Libya” exhibition to be held in Benghazi from 10 to 13 August

The vehicles in Ukraine were finally released two weeks ago and were loaded onto the Greek car carrier, MV Sea Amazon which arrived in Benghazi last week. However, Mykhailo Cononow the MV Etel’s captain was told that he could not leave until the court gave permission.

One of the investors, Nasser Ajaj, asserted that the shipping agents on the deal were seriously out of pocket. They were looking for LD 1 million in damages as well as their port, shipping and legal costs, since the cars were first shipped from Jordan.

However, Abd Al-Rauf Al-Tajoury, one of a group of 25 Benghazi businessmen who bought the cars from Jordan, today told the Libya Herald: “As soon as we got our cars back, we kept our promise to release the ship. There has been no talk about compensation”.

Accordingly at 1.00 pm today the Benghazi North court issued an order permitting the departure of the MV Etel, which immediately began to get up steam and left three hours later.

As soon as the shipping agent investors heard of the court’s order, there were frantic efforts this afternoon to have it reversed, but a key lawyer could not be found.

Nasser Ajaj told this newspaper: “The other investors released the ship themselves. They ignored the law. I was trying to get my lawyer on the case, but I could not get hold of him. I am very angry.”

Ajaj said that unlike the other investors, who were happy that they now had their vehicles, the shipping agents involved in the deal were LD 586,00 out of pocket.  That sum would need to be recovered by legal action, although he declined to say against whom a suit might be brought.

With input from Tom Westcott


[/restrict]

Tags: BenghazicarsEtelfeaturedLibyareleaseUkraine

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Oil exports down to 160,000 barrels per day: Oil Ministry

Retired soldier escapes Benghazi booby-trapped car

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.