No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Anoud Senussi “freed” and flown to Sebha

byNigel Ash
September 8, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Anoud Senussi “freed” and flown to Sebha

By Ashraf Abdullah Wahab

Anoud leaves
Anoud Senussi today shown with an ICRC member

Tripoli, 7 September 2013:

Anoud Senussi,  the daughter of  Qaddafi’s former spy chief, is understood to have been released this . . .[restrict]evening by her kidnappers and flown to Sebha, where she was greeted at the airport by celebratory gunfire from members of the Magarha tribe, to which her family belongs.

The group that  kidnapped  “for her own protection” as she left Tripoli’s Al-Ruwaimi prison, said that her release had been made under the auspices of the International Commission of the Red Cross.

A picture published on the Facebook page of the Tripoli Revolutionary Brigade shows Senussi leaving a room, with someone who appears to be from the ICRC.

RELATED POSTS

CBL Board hold second 2025 meeting in Sebha, discusses revenues, foreign exchange and banking services

Libyan and Tunisian dates companies meet in Sebha to explore international export cooperation

The release of the 20 year-old Senussi comes at the end of a several days of confusion. Senussi  was driven out of Al-Ruwaimi last Monday, after being held in jail for ten months, for rentering the country on a false passport.

The three-car convoy in which she was travelling, which included a vehicle carrying  a deputy justice minister, was stopped some 100 metres from the prison gates by five trucks of armed men, who seized Senussi.

There were immediate concerns for her safety. The Tripoli rumour mill went into overdrive with talk of multi-million dinar ransom demands and even assertions that she had already been murdered by her abductors.

On Wednesday, the Magarha tribe around Sebha briefly cut the power to water pumps on the Man-Made River. They threatened to stop all water flows to the west of the country, unless Anoud Senussi was freed.  In response to this threat, people from Ghariyan began stopping trucks heading south to Sebha, detaining some 300 vehicles in 48 hours.

It was also on Wednesday that the first definite news of Senussi emerged. Sebha congressman Abdul Hadi Ahmed Ashrief told the Libya Herald she  had been taken by men from the First Special Unit of the SSC, for her own protection. He added that she was now in Tripoli with family members but was expected to join her mother in either Mauritania or Egypt within a matter of days.

The point now at issue was whether Senussi was effectively a free agent or whether she was still kidnapped.  Speaking to this newspaper yesterday, Justice Minister Salah Marghani appeared to have had no doubt that she remained a kidnap victim.

He indicated that talks were going on with the abductors. But he added: “I’m not commenting on this thing now until it ends. It’s at a critical point and I don’t want to cause harm to anybody.”

It would appear that those talks succeeded, bringing to an end a puzzling incident which has made unfavourable headlines around the world. Amnesty International was particularly critical of Senussi’s abduction, asking:”How can the Libyan authorities claim that they are able to deliver fair trials, and apply the law in the most prominent, politically-sensitive cases, when they are manifestly unable to ensure the basic safety of detainees?” [/restrict]

Continue Reading
Tags: Anoud SenussifeaturedfreeICRCKidnapLibyaSebha

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Flying visits for Egyptians with forged visas

Flying visits for Egyptians with forged visas

Tripoli finishes cleaning up after the storm

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.