BREAKING NEWS: Saif Al-Islam Qaddafi in Tripoli for court appearance – unconfirmed reports
By Ahmed Elumami and Sami Zaptia
Saif in Zintan earlier this year
Tripoli, 19 September 2013:
There are unconfirmed reports this morning in Tripoli that Saif Al-Islam Qaddafi has been brought to Tripoli to make a court appearance to face charges – as reported by Libya Herald yesterday.
Libya Herald reports a frenzied atmosphere in front of the Hadba prison and court as members of the public and relatives of the Abu Sleem prison massacre congregate awaiting confirmation of Saif’s presence in the capital.
It is also reported that a large number of leading members of the Qaddafi regime would also make an appearance before the court today.
Yesterday, the media were informed that the court session would be conducted in closed session. However, this morning, five TV channels, including the state-owned Wataniya channel, Alassema, Aljazira, and Al-Naba were allowed access. No newspapers, including Libya Herald were allowed access into the court room.
Security was high at the court entrance where relatives of the Abu Sleem prison massacre are calling for justice to be conducted in public, as opposed to behind closed doors.
If Saif does make an appearance in Tripoli, this would be a break through and would be the first time that Saif would have left his prison in Zintan since his capture.
Yesterday, spokesperson for Zintan Local Council Omar Matoog told Libya Herald that Saif would not be brought to Tripoli and would make his court appearance in Zintan.
More from Libya Herald..
- “No one is above the law in the new free Libya”, says justice minister By Sami Zaptia.
Tripoli, 4 January:
Justice Minister Salah Maraghni stressed that in the new Libya “no one is above the law ” at the government's end-of-week press conference on Thursday even...
- GNC official spokesperson makes his debut By Sami Zaptia.
Tripoli, 28 August:
After weeks of what seemed like an official information vacuum, the General National Congress (GNC) finally elected – broadcast live on TV – ...
- Over 800,000 Libyans registered to vote, 2 guards shot dead at Prime Minister’s office Tripoli, 10 May:
By Sami Zaptia.
The scheduled weekly official press conference of Wednesday 9 May was overshadowed by the previous day’s hastily scheduled press briefing forced upon the gove...
- Europe will fully support Libya if it respects human rights – Ana Gomes, European Parliament Rapporteur on Libya By Sami Zaptia.
Tripoli, 6 October:
LIBYA HERALD EXCLUSIVE
Ana Gomes member of the European Parliament and Rapporteur on Libya concluded a successful visit to Libya yesterday which inc...
- Justice Minister adds further confusion to Saif trial debate By Ashraf Abdul-Wahab.
Tripoli, 25 August:
The Minister of Justice has told the Libya Herald that the trial of Saif Qaddafi will be held next month, but insisted that suggestions it will ...