No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

EU to work with Libya to stem illegal migrant tide

byNigel Ash
September 22, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
EU to work with Libya to stem illegal migrant tide

By no means all migrants make it. an empty dinghy found off the coast this May.

 

By no means all migrants make it. an empty dinghy found off the coast this May.
By no means all migrants make it. An empty dinghy found off the coast this May.  (Photo: Tom Westcott, Libya Herald)

Tripoli, 22 September 2013:

As yet another boatload of illegal migrants to Europe was detained yesterday by the Libyan coastguard, the European . . .[restrict]Union is stepping up efforts to stem the tide of asylum seekers who risk everything making the perilous sea crossing from Libya,

At a meeting in Madrid on Thursday, EU member states agreed to join forces with Libya as part of the Seahorse Merditerraneo programme to stem illegal immigration into Europe. The project, which in the next three years will involve the training of Libyan coast and  border guards and the establishment of sophisticated satellite-based monitoring and communications, is based on the Seahorse Atlantico programme.

There, similar cooperation and systems saw the number of migrants intercepted at sea fall from 31,000 in 2006 to just 332 last year. The United Nations Commission for Refugees  believes that last month, at least 27 boats with over 3,000 passengers, the majority from Ethiopia, Eritrea and Somalia, left Libya bound for Europe.

RELATED POSTS

Libya’s National Programme for the Deportation of Illegal Immigrants: thousands repatriated with aim to repatriate 60,000 per month

Over 3 million migrant workers in Libya do not pay taxes or fair share – this is draining hard currency and lowering standard of living of Libyans

Most of the attempts to cross to Europe are made in the summer, during the relatively benign sea state. But regardless of the weather, it is clear that some of those seeking a better life in Europe, do not make it, in their often overcrowded and unseaworthy vessels. In May this year, an empty inflatable was found eight miles off the coast with nothing on board save documentation and mobile phones, presumably from passengers who had somehow perished.

Yesterday’s interception by the Libyan coastguard  discovered 207 immigrants, including Eritreans and Somalis, crowded into a wooden boat. Navy Chief of Staff Ayoub Kasim told the Libyan news agency LANA that there were 29 women and children on the vessel.  He said that all were escorted to Khoms where they were handed over to “the correct authorities”, adding that all were likely to be deported to their home countries.

  [/restrict]

Tags: coast guardEuropefeaturedillegal migrantsinterceptionLibyaSeahorse Merditerraneo

Related Posts

Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June
Libya

Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

May 15, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

May 12, 2026
Next Post
Jordan hospitals still not completely paid but now treating Libyans for advance payments

Jordan hospitals still not completely paid but now treating Libyans for advance payments

Fezzan: no state, three peoples

Fezzan: no state, three peoples

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Economy Ministry accredits seven international inspection companies to inspect imports of medicines & medical equipment at ports of origin

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.