No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Russian diplomats quit for Moscow after Tripoli embassy attack

bythomwestcott
October 4, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Russian diplomats quit for Moscow after Tripoli embassy attack

Russia's Tripoli embassy before the attack

By Ashraf Abdul Wahab.

Russia's Tripoli embassy before the attack
Russia’s Tripoli embassy before the attack

Tripoli, 3 October 2013:

Following Wednesday’s assault on the Russia’s Tripoli embassy in which the Tripoli Security Room says . . .[restrict]two attackers were killed, Moscow has evacuated all staff and families to Moscow via Tunisia, leaving only a skeleton team in Tunis to represent the country’s interests.

Russian sources say that diplomats had reportedly sheltered in safe rooms when the embassy in Dahra came under attack early on Wednesday evening, from militiamen linked to Suq Al-Jumah.

Reports from Moscow  have suggested that the assault was launched by ten men in two cars . However, eye witnesses say that there were approaching 100 assailants, who after attacking and torching an embassy car outside the compound then scaled the wire-protected walls and got inside of the area.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli based Libyan PM Aldabaiba takes part in Q&A as part of Tripoli Media Days – talks about Russia, corruption, El-Kaber, Bengdara and elections

Facilities Security Authority meets Russian and Italian ambassadors – discusses training and provision of security to returning companies

Within the compound an Audi was also blown up, possibly with a gelatina. Some property was looted from buildings and a Russian flag was torn down.

Russian sources say that embassy security guards “along with one of the pro-government militias, managed to force the attackers out”.

The Russians have said  that only one attacker was killed and four were injured. The Tripoli Control Room says two Libyans died and one man was shot in the hand, while the Tripoli Security Directorate today denied to the Libya Herald that there had been any deaths at all.

One eye-witness told this newspaper that the scene “was chaotic and out of control”. He added that although initially, the attackers appeared to be unarmed,  weapons later appeared and were fired in the air.

The Tripoli Security Room said today that units were immediately sent to the area, though this newspaper’s informant said he saw no sign of them.

Foreign ministry sources in Russia reported that Libyan foreign minister  Mohamed Abdulaziz visited the embassy early today. He is said to have recommended that Russian diplomats should leave, because local security forces were unable to protect from further attacks.  It was not possible this evening to contact the foreign ministry to confirm this statement.  According to Moscow reports, Russian foreign minister Sergei Lavrov also received an assurance from Abdulaziz that Libya would act to protect Russian embassy property.

The attack has been linked to the murder of a militia leader in Suq Al-Jumah. He was shot seven times in his home with his own Kalashnikov, allegedly by a Russian woman. His mother, who was in the house at the time, was also attacked and stabbed in the shoulder and the hand. She is understood to be in a stable condition in a Tripoli hospital.

Reports have been circulating that the man was targeted for opposing Qaddafi during the revolution. However, a neighbour told the Libya Herald that the Russian woman was, in fact, the victim’s wife.

He said the pair married in Russia while while the man was studying for five years at the Suvorov military academy. After returning to Libya, the neighbour said,the militia leader told his wife that his mother refused to accept her as a daughter-in-law. The Russian woman, described as blonde-haired and blue-eyed, then came to Libya, allegedly entering the country on a journalist’s visa.

The woman was apprehended near the scene of the crime. Security sources have confirmed to the Libya Herald that she is being held in a prison facility in Mitiga, pending further investigations. The source added that she was being treated well.

Tonight there was continued police presence at outside the Russian Embassy. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaRussiaRussian embassy attack

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Authorities must act on attacks on journalists, says RWB

Authorities must act on attacks on journalists, says RWB

Foreign Minister denies Russian diplomats were advised to quit Libya

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.