No Result
View All Result
Monday, September 1, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Abdullah Senussi can be tried in Libya after all: ICC

byNigel Ash
October 11, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Hadi Fornaji.

Abdullah Al-Senussi, Qaddafi's former intelligence chief
Abdullah Al-Senussi now on trial

Tripoli, 11 October 2011

Libya has been authorised by the International Criminal Court to press ahead with the trial in . . .[restrict]Tripoli of Qaddafi’s former security chief  Abdullah Al-Senussi.

ICC judges today upheld an appeal by Libya against the original order that Senussi be handed over for trial at the international court.

In its decision, judges said that after careful consideration, they had found that the Libyan prosecutor’s investigations covered the same ground as the ICC’s. They also noted the quantity and quality of the evidence collected against Senussi and the start of court proceedings this September.  Further they lauded the efforts made to “resolve certain issues in the justice system by recourse to international assistance”.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

In an oblique reference to the case of Saif Al-Islam, who is held by Zintanis who have so far refused to hand him over to state custody, the judgement said:” The Chamber’s decision took into account, holistically, the fact that Al-Senussi is not detained under State custody …” .

Zintan has said that it wants Saif tried for crimes against humanity in Zintan. It has in the meantime charged him with attempting to escape, proceedings which have delayed any move elsewhere. Saif  has been arraigned in Tripoli, along with Senussi and 36 other top figures in the old regime. On 19 September opening of the pretrial hearing in Tripoli, justice officials were saying that the Zintanis would be bringing their star prisoner to the court.  This did not happen. Instead Zintan issued a statement reiterating its determination that Saif should be tried in the town,

The ICC is continuing to demand that Saif be handed over to it, with court-appointed defence lawyers arguing that Qaddafi’s son cannot expect a fair trial in Libya. The 27-day detention of two of that defence team in Zintan after a meeting with Saif, in June 2012,  has clearly hardened the ICC’s position on Saif.

Both the ICC prosecutor and Senussi’s ICC-appointed defence team may yet appeal today’s decision. [/restrict]

Tags: Abdullah SenussiAppealfeaturedICCLibyatrial

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Attempt to kill Benghazi imam

Attempt to kill Benghazi imam

Better investments needed in MENA to boost growth – World Bank

Better investments needed in MENA to boost growth - World Bank

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.