No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

GECOL warns of more power cuts as some contractors quit over security

byNigel Ash
October 15, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
GECOL warns of more power cuts as some contractors quit over security

By Nigel Ash.

GECOL Logo

Tripoli, 14 October 2013:

Electricity supplier GECOL is warning that power . . .[restrict]cuts could continue throughout the winter, because security concerns had caused foreign firms doing essential maintenance and expansion work at its power stations  pull their workers out of the country.

In a statement issued yesterday, GECOL said recent security issues, including the kidnapping of the prime minister, had caused withdrawal of overseas technicians.

RELATED POSTS

Economy Minister Hwej discusses imposed peak time power cuts and higher tariffs with industry

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

The power maintenance projects on which they were working, said GECOL, “were desperately needed because they will contribute hugely to our ability to meet the demand for electricity in the immediate future”.

It declared: “The absence of these foreign professionals and experts of these companies will delay the implementation of these projects, thus causing us to be unable to meet the demand for electricity for this winter and next summer”.

A high-level source at the Ministry of Electricity today confirmed to the Libya Herald that overseas staff employed by the German firm Siemens had been withdrawn. Siemens declined to discuss the issue. A spokesman said: “In general, we do not comment on any security-related matters. Protecting the health and safety of employees in the workplace is a high priority for Siemens. Therefore, we do not give any insights into our security policy”.

One person close the current electricity projects told this paper: “A great many foreigners have left the country anyway because of Eid. Siemens would have withdrawn its staff at this time, but it is clear that it does also have serious security concerns, which may well mean an extended withdrawal”.

There were also reports that workers from APR Energy, which has completed the installation of 450 MW of emergency generating capacity, the largest such project ever undertaken anywhere,  had also been pulled out in the last few days.

This was categorically denied by the Florida-based firm. Silvio Cavaceppi, Vice President of Marketing & Communications told this paper: “We have not withdrawn our staff from Libya. The safety and security of our personnel is paramount and we continuously monitor and assess the operating environment with GECOL and other key stakeholders”. He did not say how many APR Energy workers were present in Libya.

Cavaceppi however confirmed that all 450MW of its emergency generating sets are now installed and hooked up to the power grid. He added: “Now that all plants are installed, they can be monitored and maintained by non-APR Energy personnel if necessary”.

  [/restrict]

Tags: APR EnergyfeaturedGECOLLibyapower cutsSiemenstechnicianswithdrawal

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Eid Al-Adha in Libya

Eid Al-Adha in Libya

Second Al-Ahly football team member attacked

Second Al-Ahly football team member attacked

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.