No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Municipal elections face postponement

byMichel Cousins
October 26, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Michel Cousins.

Tripoli 25 October 2013:

The General National Congress has been asked by the head of the High National Election Commission . . .[restrict](HNEC), Nuri Elabbar, to postpone the elections for the new municipalities because they would clash with those for the 60-member committee which is to draw up Libya’s new constitution.

The proposal is on Congress’ agenda when it meets on Sunday and is expected to be approved. There is, however, likely to be resistance from Congress members from the municipalities where plans for the elections have reached an advanced stage.

It has also been criticised by the local committee organising the elections for the new Benghazi municipal council. The city urgently needed an effective council in view of the security situation there, a member of the committee said on Libya Al-Ahrar TV station last night. HNEC was wrong to demand a postponement for the municipal elections, the official said.

RELATED POSTS

France, Germany, Italy, the UK and US welcome 58 municipal election results across Libya

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

However, the president of Congress, Nuri Sahmain, last night said on TV that they would probably have to be delayed.

If Congress approves HNEC’s request, it would probably mean that the municipal elections would not  start before the end of January at the earliest. The Constitutional Committee elections are supposed to take place in late December, but that is seen as optimistic. Mid-January is seen as more likely.

The process of registering voters and candidates for the 90 municipalities is already complete in Beida where 24,000 people and 49 candidates registered and in Ghat (5,000 voters or 30 percent of potential electorate). Registration is currently taken place in Gharyan, Traghen, Awjila, Al-Haraba, Tazerbu, Zintan, Bint Baya, Shahat and Wadi Idba. It is due to start shortly in Zultan, Ajilat, Assaba, Hawamid, Nisma and Jalu.  It should take place in Benghazi soon as well.

Municipal elections could take place in the next four weeks in Beida, Ghat and those  places where registration is currently underway, Otman Gajiji,  chairman of the Central Committee for Municipal Councils Elections (CCMCE), has said. The success of the process so far, he stressed, was largely due to the dedication and hard work of CCMCE staff, local committee workers and the support of the civil registry authorities. He also thanked the EU for donating election material as well as UNSMIL and UNDP for their support.

If the elections were postponed, he said, the CCMCE would continue to work, preparing and training committee officials for elections in other municipalities. [/restrict]

Tags: Libyamunicipal elections

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Al-Ahly coach accuses player of attempted murder

Al-Ahly coach accuses player of attempted murder

Joint security room for Jebel Akhdar

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.