No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Amazigh stop oil tankers from docking at Mellitah terminal, threaten to close pipelines

bythomwestcott
October 27, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ahmed Elumami.

Tripoli, 27 October 2013:

Some 80 armed Amazigh from Zuwara are preventing oil tankers from docking at the Mellitah oil terminal, . . .[restrict]and are threatening to close the terminal’s pipeline, in the latest protest targeting the country’s oil industry.

The group are protesting over demands for more seats in the 60-member Constitutional Committee, which will be be elected, probably in December. Just two seats have been reserved for the Amazigh community.

The group started the protest at the terminal, operated by ENI and the National Oil Corporation (NOC), last night and it has continued throughout today.

RELATED POSTS

Eni and BP resume operations in Libya, Repsol and OMV to start within weeks: NOC

Tripoli government forces regain control over Ras Jedir Libyan-Tunisian border crossing

“The protesters are from Zuwara and are revolutionaries who fought for Libya’s interests and unity, not for political and individual interests,” a member of the political committee of the Supreme Amazigh Council, Ayoub Sufian, told the Libya Herald.

He said that there had been discussions with the Libyan staff at the Mellitah complex and an agreement had been reached to await a response from  the General National Congress (GNC). But if the protestors’ demands were not considered, Sufian said, they would close the terminal’s pipelines.

Amazigh activists, mainly from Nalut, have already closed the gas pipeline to the complex from the Wafa gas field in pursuit of their political demands.

The Supreme Council of Amazigh have warned on several occasions of the consequences of ignoring the demands of the Amazigh people, Sufian said. On Wednesday, the Supreme Amazigh Council called for a boycott of the forthcoming elections and said that any Amazigh who tried to stand for election or worked for the poll would be considered a traitor.

“We were neglected by the former regime,” Sufian said, adding that the new State of Libya needed to understand that matters relating to ethnic representation in the Constitutional Committee had to have the agreement of  the representatives of the Amazigh community.

None of the Amazigh people wanted anything bad to happen to the country, Sufian said. “However, we have waited for a long time for our rights and now it is the time for the legally-elected GNC to take important measures regarding this,” he said.

Sufian described the Amazigh as the “conscience” of Libya and said they could save the country from falling into an abyss, because their aim was a unified Libya for all. [/restrict]

Tags: amazighEniLibyaMellitahoil terminalprotest

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Algerians seize large Libyan arms stash

Misrata businessmen want better banking

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.