No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Breaking news: fighting in Tripoli tonight

bythomwestcott
November 8, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Aimen Eljali, Tom Westcott and Ashraf Abdul-Wahab.

Tripoli, 7 November 2013:

Heavy clashes broke out this evening in east Tripoli following unconfirmed reports that . . .[restrict]Nuri Friwan, the commander of the Misrata Nosoor Battalion injured in an incident at a Tripoli checkpoint on Tuesday, had died earlier today.

The clashes, involving heavy machine guns and RPGs, started around 9.45 pm at the checkpoint by the planetarium near Shara Al-Shatt, where Friwan was wounded, but are said to have quickly spread to Suq Al-Juma and Nufleen. There are also reports of fighting in Ben Ashour. Ambulances have been seen rushing to the Shara Al-Shatt area. By 11 pm, gunfire was also heard in the centre of town, in Algeria Square and streets nearby.  “There are snipers firing. It’s like the revolution all over again,” a downtown resident told the Libya Herald by phone.

Heavy weapons, including anti-aircraft guns, could be clearly identified in the Zawiyat Dahmani district of the capital, a neighbourhood resident told this paper. Another said he thought the fighting included from anything between 50 to 200 men but it was impossible to determine.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

LAIP stalled Misrata cement factory committee meets to move the project forward

A local resident in the neighbouring Busetta area said that anti-aircraft guns appeared to be being fired directly at buildings.

There have been reports on social media networks of people abandoning their cars in the middle to try and get to a place of safety.

The head of Tripoli SSC, Hashem Bishr, however, denied any spread in the fighting. He told the Libya Herald this evening that it was taking place only in the Shara Al-Shatt area. He said that it was between forces from Misrata and other groups, which he did not name. However, one of the groups involved in the fighting is believed to be from Suq Al-Juma. Another is reported to be a Libya Shield battalion.

There are also unconfirmed reports that orders have been given to Tajoura units to close the roads into eastern Tripoli to anyone without authorisation and to secure Mitiga airbase.

Friwan was shot very early on Tuesday morning after his vehicle was stopped by checkpoint guards under the control of Tripoli’s Joint Security Operations Room.  Shortly afterwards, members of his battalion attacked the guards, injuring three of them.

At the time it was said that Friwan had been shot in the leg although it appears to have been sufficiently serious to have him air ambulanced out of the county.

Today it was also reported that Operations Room had demanded that the members of the Nosoor Battalion involved in attacking and wounding the checkpoint guards be arrested.  According the Libya news agency LANA, the Operations room said that those involved had carried out “an assault on the sovereignty of the state”. [/restrict]

Tags: fightinghashem BishrLibyaMisrataSuq Al-JumaTripoli

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

BP plays down onshore investment cutback claims

Fighting continues in Tripoli – hotel hit, guests evacuated to basement

Fighting continues in Tripoli - hotel hit, guests evacuated to basement

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.