No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tebu protestors in Kufra and Rebyana threaten local power station

byNigel Ash
November 25, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Tebu protestors in Kufra and Rebyana threaten local power station

Tebu's protest their "marginalisation"

By Libya Herald staff.

Tebu's protest their "marginalisation"
Tebu’s protest their “marginalisation”

Tripoli, 24 November 2013:

Angry Tebu tribesmen from Kufra and Rebyana have been protesting for the third successive day . . .[restrict]at what they say is their marginalisation and neglect, first under the Qaddafi regime and now in Free Libya. If government demands for improvements are not met with 48 hours, they are threatening to disrupt power production at Al-Sareer.

Kufra is now a divided town since fighting earlier this year between the Tebu and the Zway majority, left 150 Tebu dead and more than 400 injured.  A reconciliation committee from the Jebel Nafusa restored an uneasy peace. However, concentrated in the neighbourhoods of Gadarfai and Shura, the Tebu now find themselves separated from most basic services, including hospitals and banks, which are now in Zway areas of the town, 5,000 of whose 70,000 inhabitants are Tebu.

Mohamed Seeda, the president of the protest committee and a Tebu civil society activist told the Libya Herald today that there were no Tebu members on the Kufra town council. He is leading a call for a separate council to be set up in Kufra, which will cover the Tebu minority.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

A similar new administration, and budget, is wanted for Rebyana, a town of 4,000 people, almost all Tebu. Though 150 kilometres away, it is administered by Kufra. It has no mains electricity, fuel station, proper hospital nor school, said Seeda.

Along with the Amazigh who demand the constitutional recognition of the Amazigh language, the Tebus of Libya want their language to be recognised as well.

Seeda warned today: “If not agreement is not reached in the committee of sixty to guarantee our constitutional rights, then we will not take part in it. We were patient for 42 years and another two years after the Libyan Revolution and we will not end the sit-in until all of our demands are met”.

With contributions by Houda Mzioudet and Jamal Issa.

  [/restrict]

Tags: featuredGNCKufralanguageLibyaRebyanaTebuthreats

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
BREAKING NEWS: Fierce fighting in Benghazi

BREAKING NEWS: Fierce fighting in Benghazi

Abu Sleem rubbish dump to be closed as cleaning funds finally released

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.