No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Ansar Al-Sharia convoy “blocked” from leaving Derna

byNigel Ash
November 26, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Ansar Al-Sharia convoy “blocked” from leaving Derna

Military police believed to be at the roadblock to the west of Derna today

By Seraj Essul.

Military police believed to be at the roadblock to the west of Derna today
Military police believed to be at the roadblock to the west of Derna today

Tripoli, 25 November 2013:

A failed attempt to murder a Derna judge and an RPG attack on the gates of . . .[restrict]the port kicked off a day in Derna in which Ansar Al-Shaira units were prevented from leaving the town, apparently en route to the fighting in Benghazi.

The attack on the judge Councillor Yufu Lkraimi happened just before midnight last night near the Bab Tobruk mosque. The judge was driving when he was shot and wounded in the right shoulder.  He was taken to Al-Hareesh hospital, where his condition is not thought to be life-threatening.  The courts in Derna have not been working since the summer,  because judges have been on strike following the murder of two of their colleagues.

At about the same time as the attack on Lkraimi, an RPG was fired from the harbour bridge at the gates to the port. There were no injuries in the blast and the harbour is still functioning, a local told the Libya Herald. The port is protected by the Army’s Omar Mukhtar Brigade.

RELATED POSTS

LBC opens its Eastern Region branch at its new Benghazi location

Egypt Real Estate Exhibition launched in Benghazi

Early today, as news of the fighting in Benghazi began to spread, an eye witness said he saw ten Ansar Al-Sharia technicals leave the organisation’s base in the former police high school, near the western entrance to the town.  However it is understood that not only were streets in the town blocked with vehicles that delayed the column’s progress but, beyond the town, army units from Al-Marj and Beida had blocked the road linking Tobruk with Ajdabiya.

It is reported that fixed wing aircraft from the Gamal Abdul Nasser airbase at Tobruk and at least one helicopter from the Benina airbase in Benghazi were on patrol in the area.

The Ansar Al-Sharia column returned to its HQ. The two other radical Islamist militias in Derna, the Army of the Islamic State of Libya and the Abu Selim brigade remained neutral throughout the day’s events.

Earlier this evening there was a protest of some 50 men and women at the Sahaba mosque, demanding proper security in Derna. A general strike has been called for tomorrow.

However tonight the Army of the Islamic State of Libya had resumed it usual nighttime patrols. It was reported that it had set up a checkpoint manned by three technicals at the Harbour Roundabout. [/restrict]

Tags: Ansar Al-ShariaBenghaziblockadeDernafeaturedLibya

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Ansar Al-Sharia threatens bloodshed in Libya

Progress still needed in child protection: Unicef

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.