No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 25, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

British ambassador visits Misrata

byNigel Ash
December 8, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
British ambassador visits Misrata

Ambassador Aron with Misrata leaders

By Libya Herald staff.

Ambassador Aron with Misrata leaders
British Ambassador Aron with Misrata leaders

Tripoli, 7 December 2013:

The decision by leaders in Misrata that its members of Congress and government ministers should . . .[restrict]return to their duties in the capital, announced three days ago, has been welcomed by the British ambassador during a visit to the city.

Michael Aron said after he visited Misrata today for talks with civic and community leaders: “They told me that they have broadly agreed to return. I said that I thought it was very important that Misrata contributed to the national political process, because of the importance of its role in the country”.

Aron told the Libya Herald that the Misratans had said that they wanted the fact-finding commission to establish exactly what had happened at Gharghour.

RELATED POSTS

The first Libyan Bosnian Business Forum held in Misrata deemed an economic turning point between the two countries

Libyan – Bosnian Business Forum – to be held from 29 to 30 March in Misrata

While the ambassador talked with civic leaders, part of his embassy team visited the Misrata Free Zone and the LISCO iron and steel works.

As a result of the withdrawal ministers like Economy Minister Mustafa Abofanas have been doing their work from Misrata.

Yesterday, Aron had been to a Tawerghan refugee camp in Tripoli and he brought up in his meetings today the issue of the Tawerghans’ return to the town they abandoned at the end of the fighting.  “The Misratans said that they thought that this was for the government to deal with, as part of the process of national reconciliation”.

Aron’s visit to the Tawerghan camp off the capital’s Airport Road was, he said, shocking. The camp had been badly flooded in recent days. When the embassy party heard that nappies, baby formula and soft babies bottles were desperately needed, they went and bought supplies.

“We sat and talked with the head of the [Tawergha] local council,” said Aron, “ and he said their situation was terrible. Earlier in the year, they had been planning to march back to Tawergha, but they had been persuaded not to do so in the hope that their situation would be improved. In fact, we were told, it has got worse”.

Aron said that the Tawerghan leaders were ready to make an apology for what had happened during the war and if any of them stood accused of crimes, they were ready to submit the individuals to the justice system.

“But they said that they wanted to go home. Their conditions were appalling. They did not want to go into better housing, because they feared then that they would be forgotten.” [/restrict]

Tags: British AmbassadorFree Trade ZoneLibyaLISCOMichael AronMisrataTawergha

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
The new faces of Libyan army

The new faces of Libyan army

Military intelligence colonel murdered in Benghazi

Military intelligence colonel murdered in Benghazi

Top Stories

  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Bosnia Herzegovina engineering company Energoinvest signs € 2.71 million contract with Libyan Iron and Steel Co to construct a power station

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.