No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UN envoy calls for greater dialogue and less misunderstanding

byMichel Cousins
December 9, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Tarek Mitri briefing the UN Security Council in March
Tarek Mitri briefing the UN Security Council in March

Tripoli, 9 December 2013.

Libya’s “excessive” political polarisation will be resolved only though national dialogue, the UN Envoy in . . .[restrict]Libya, Tarek Mitri, told the Security Council in New York today.

Detailing the continuing downward security spiral in his latest briefing on Libya today, the Special Representative of the Secretary General said that although the new Transitional Justice Law approved last week by Congress and yesterday’s freeing of four Bani Walid leaders by Zawia were positive contributions to the process of establishing the rule of law and achieving national reconciliation, there had to be a single reconciliation process to defuse the polarisation that was so damaging to the country.

Dialogue had to involve all the parties and the main armed groups, Mitri stated, especially given that there were doubts “about how comprehensive or lasting” the decisions of some militias to quit Tripoli would be.

RELATED POSTS

UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

UNSMIL announces results of online survey to be used as a guide to proposing initiative to break Libya’s political deadlock

For its part, the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) was actively helping facilitate a number of national dialogue initiatives, he said.

One major difficulty he noted was the ability of some groups in Libyan to misunderstand events, pointing the problems following the announcement that the UN was sending a 235-strong to provide protection for its staff in Libya.

It had been presented in some quarters as evidence of international intervention,  he said, and both the UN and the Libyan authorities had been forced to explain and “ state the obvious”. It would not be the last time this happened, he suggested to Security Council members.

“We will have to spare no effort in dispelling misinterpretations and suspicions, no matter how unjustified they may seem, and reaffirming the role of the UN support mission in Libya, committed to the full respect of its national sovereignty.”

On the issues of arms control and the elimination of supplies of mustard gas and uranium fissile material, known as yellowcake, Mitri announced that an inspection team from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) would be visiting Libya this month” to verify existing stockpiles and conditions of storage”.

He indicated  ongoing concerns about the yellowcake,  6,400 barrels of which were stored “in a non-functional former military facility close to Sebha”.

A team from the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) was also expected this month to observe the destruction of the mustard gas “in line with Libya’s obligations under the Chemical Weapons Convention”.

As for man-portable surface-to-air missiles (MANPADS), the UN envoy said that UNSMIL had asked the Libyan authorities for more documentation on those under their control.

 

  [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaUNUNSMIL

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Russian diplomats head back to Tripoli

LISCO sales highest since revolution

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.