No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Zeidan calls on revolutionaries to rally to the south as airbase seized by pro-Qaddafi forces

byCallum Paton
January 18, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Jamal Adel.

Tripoli, 18 January 2014:

Prime Minister Ali Zeidan has called on all revolutionary forces to rally to the south saying . . .[restrict]that Tamenhint airbase 30 kilometres east of Sebha has been seized by pro-Qaddafi troops as clashes in the southern city destabilise the wider region.

The Prime Minister said he had asked Defence Minister, Abdullah Al-Thinni, to travel to Misrata to coordinate with the city’s military council and Libya Shield Brigades to marshall their forces in an effort to restore security to the south. He called on revolutionaries from all walks of Libya to travel to the south to protect the revolution by all means available.

Saleh Al-Shaikhi, spokesman for Chief of Staff of the Military told the Libya Herald that the Libyan Air Force is now planning sorties over Sebha and surrounding areas to restore order.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli government opens investigation to determine responsibilities and accountability for Misrata clashes between its own forces

CBL Board hold second 2025 meeting in Sebha, discusses revenues, foreign exchange and banking services

This morning, Sebha’s Military commander issued orders instructing all military personnel within the area to report for duty as unconfirmed reports surfaced that troops from Zintan are already on their way to Sebha to quell fighting there.

Reports form Sebha have confirmed that pro-Qaddafi forces seized control of Tamenhenta airbase late last night. Ayoub Al-Zaroug, head of Sebha Local Council, told this newspaper that the base had been taken by Qaddafi supporters coming from a number of towns and villages across southern regions.

Mohammed Al-Mubasher, who is part of the Zintani delegation which arrived in Sebha to broker a ceasefire there on Wednesday, said that the forces at Tamenhint had used the current security vacuum in the region to advance their goals.

Clashes broke out in Sebha last night as an uneasy truce that had held since Wednesday between Tebu tribesmen and Awlad Suleiman members collapsed. Dr Ibrahim Zway, director of Sebha Medical Centre said this morning that two people had been killed and two others injured as a result of renewed violence in the city.

The government has said it will continue to monitor developments in Sebha with an emergency sitting of Congress planned for this evening to discuss the security situation in the south. [/restrict]

Tags: clashesLibyapro-Qaddafi forcesSebhaZeidan

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Libya coach reacts to 1-1 draw with Ghana

Congress orders state of 'high alert' across the country

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.