Italian cemetery in Tripoli attacked by Qaddafi supporters
By Sami Zaptia.
Tripoli, 19 January 2014:
Dozens of Qaddafi supporters waving green flags attacked the Italian cemetery in Tripoli yesterday evening.
Informed sources told Libya Herald that the assailants smashed up the guardroom at the cemetery entrance but the guard was uninjured.
However, local thuwar (militias) and the neighbours quickly confronted the attacker, chasing them out of the site before they could penetrate the graveyard itself or cause damage to any graves. The police later arrived to secure the site.
This incident comes after two Italian workers in a construction company went missing on Friday between Martuba and Derna in eastern Libya.
But it also comes against the background of pro-Qaddafi supporters attacking and occupying an airbase in south of Libya as well as a series of unconfirmed reports of green pro-Qaddafi flags being raised in a number of places in Libya.
Pro-Qaddafi supporters have also been broadcasting recently through a satellite TV channel, thought to be broadcasting on the Egyptian-based Nilesat satellite.
In 2012, over 100 World War II Allied war grave stones in Benghazi were smashed.
More from Libya Herald..
- Guard killed in renewed attack on Italian graves By Sami Zaptia.
Tripoli, 20 January 2014:
Following the attack by allegedly pro-Qaddafi supporters on the Italian war graves cemetery in central Tripoli on Saturday evening, the cemetery was ...
- Italian cemetery attacked for third time By Sami Zaptia.
Tripoli, 22 January 2014:
The Italian section of the cemetery complex in Mansoura, near Suq El Thlat, was attacked again last night causing damage to headstones, with some hea...
- Zeidan threatens to use force, again. Says police are “terrorized” by militias. By Sami Zaptia.
Tripoli, 17 January 2014:
Commenting during Tuesday's (14 January) press conference on the assassination the previous Sunday of the Deputy Minister of Industry in Sirte, Prim...
- First Deputy Head of GNC condemns SSC’s demonstration as ‘unreasonable’ By Sami Zaptia.
Tripoli, 2 January:
Juma Attaiga, the First Deputy head of the General National Conference (GNC) condemned the demonstration tactics used by some Supreme Security Committee (S...
- Summary of this week’s official government press conference
By Sami Zaptia.
Tripoli, 4 August:
Last week’s official government press conference was held at 2 pm on Thursday 3 August conducted by official spokesperson Nasser Al-Mana.