No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

American special forces capture top Islamist leader, Ahmed Bukhatallah, in Benghazi operation

byNigel Ash
June 18, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
American special forces capture top Islamist leader, Ahmed Bukhatallah, in Benghazi operation

Ahmed Bukhatallah, tried as Abu Khattalah, guilty of lesser charges (File Photo)

By Libya Herald reporters

 

A widely circulated picture thought  to be of Ahmed Bukhatallah
A widely circulated picture of Ahmed Bukhatallah taken some years ago (Photo: Social Media)

Benghazi and Tripoli, 17 June 2014:

Ahmed Bukhatallah, the Ansar Sharia leader indicted by Washington as a prime suspect . . .[restrict]in the Benghazi September 2012 murder of  US ambassador Chris Stevens and three colleagues, was seized Sunday in Benghazi, the Americans have confirmed.

A presidential statement issued today by the White House read: “With this operation, the United States has once again demonstrated that we will do whatever it takes to see that justice is done when people harm Americans”.

RELATED POSTS

LBC opens its Eastern Region branch at its new Benghazi location

Egypt Real Estate Exhibition launched in Benghazi

At the Pentagon, press secretary Rear Admiral John Kirby said that the operation had been carried out by US special forces “ in cooperation with law enforcement personnel”. Bukhatallah was in custody aboard a US vessel before being taken to America.

As of now Washington has gone tight-lipped over precise details of the operation, news of which was broken today by the Washington Post. The Post’s reporters found out yesterday about Bukhatallah’s capture on Sunday. However at the request of the US government, the newspaper held off publication until today.  It is unclear why this delay of some 24 hours was deemed necessary.

Ten days ago, Bukhatallah was involved in talks with Operation Dignity representatives mediated by elders from the west who were seeking to promote a dialogue. One of the elders involved told the Libya Herald this evening that neither side was prepared to give any ground and the talks broke up without any movement.

Sunday, the day that Bukhatallah was captured, saw some of the heaviest fighting of Operation Dignity’s assault on Ansar Sharia in which at least 57 were killed and 72 injured. The fiercest battle was around an Islamist base in Sidi Faraj, which a Dignity spokesman said had been surrounded. It may be wondered if there was some connection between the assault on the camp and Bukhatallah’s seizure.

Bukhatallah’s home is in Benghazi’s Old Laithi district.  As of now, there has been no formal response from Ansar Sharia . However, this evening large crowds were gathering outside the nearby home of Bukhatallah’s parents.

  [/restrict]

Tags: Ahmed BukhatallahAnsar ShariaBenghazicapturedfeaturedLibya

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Bank of Commerce and Development opens doors with American Express

Bank of Commerce and Development opens doors with American Express

House of Representatives to be in Benghazi – Official

House of Representatives to be in Benghazi – Official

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.