No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Ahmed Bukhatallah appears in US court

byCallum Paton
June 30, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

A widely circulated picture thought  to be of Ahmed Bukhatallah
A widely-circulated picture of Ahmed Bukhatallah taken several years prior to his capture (Photo: Social Media)

Tripoli, 29 June 2014:

Islamist leader Ahmed Bukhatallah, who was seized in Benghazi and delivered to US . . .[restrict]special forces nearly two weeks ago for his alleged involvement in the killing US Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Amercian diplomatic staff, has pleaded not guilty in a Washington court.

He was charged with conspiracy to provide material support to the killers of Stevens and the three others on 11 September 2012.  He had already  been indicted on the charges in his absence by a US grand jury court. Yesterday’s hearing lasted ten minutes.

Bukhatallah has claimed in several interviews that he had no involvement with the killings. He has said his presence at US diplomatic facilities on the night of the murders in Benghazi came out of a desire to know what was happening there.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

Tripoli Chamber discussing leading delegation to WOC show in Las Vegas, USA in January

The Washington Post quoted US law enforcement officials as saying Bukhatallah had been questioned during his journey to the United States abroad the amphibious transport dock the USS New York. The substance of these interrogations is a closely guarded secret.

Libya has condemned the US capture of Bukhatallah. Shortly after he was seized Justice Minister Salah Marghani demanded Bukatallah’s safe return saying the Islamist leader was wanted in Libya in connection with the attacks on 11 September 2012 as well as a number of other unspecified cases.

The government has said it had no prior knowledge of US special forces’ mission to capture Bukhatallah.

The US has launched a criminal complaint against Bukhatallah on three counts. He is charged with killing a person during an attack on a federal facility, supporting terrorists and carrying and using a firearm during a crime. His single charge of conspiracy to provide material support, for which he faces life imprisonment, is being used to bide time, it has been said, to avoid revealing details of the case in public while more evidence is gathered.

Another official is quoted as saying that in coming weeks the other charges could be added to Bukhatallah’s current single charge. If he is convicted on any of the other three he could face the death penalty.

[/restrict]

Tags: Ahmed BukhtallahfeaturedLibyaUS

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

ELECTION 2014: Final batch of preliminary results released

Police ordered back to work

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.