No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Detained Ukrainian dies in Zintan

byNigel Ash
July 16, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Detained Ukrainian dies in Zintan

By Hadi Fornaji.

The accused during their June 2012 military trial
The accused during their June 2012 military trial in Tripoli

Tripoli, 16 July 2014:

The Ukrainian government has protested the death on Monday in Zintani detention of a Ukrainian national . . .[restrict]arrested in August 2011, accused of being a mercenary.

Anatoli Kozlow, 64 is reported to have died of  “respiratory problems”. He was one of 19 Ukrainians accused of working on Gaddafi’s missiles during the revolution. Tried and convicted  in June 2012 by a military court and sentenced to ten years, all the convictions were overturned last August and a retrial ordered in a civilian court.  This trial has been postponed repeatedly, in the main because of security concerns.

A number of the imprisoned Ukrainians is reportedly aged over 60 and in poor health. The authorities in Kiev have made repeated appeals to the government and the General National Congress as well as judicial authorities, requesting that the legal process be expedited or that releases be considered on compassionate grounds.

RELATED POSTS

Nine Corpses found in mortuary fridges in Al-Khadra Hospital – disbanded SSA militia say they are Hafter’s mercenaries

Spanish visiting medical team perform joint operations in Beida, US-based consultant visiting in Zintan

The Ukrainian prisoners have always maintained that they were oilfield engineers and not mercenaries as Libyan prosecutors have alleged. They claimed that they had been recruited under false pretences and once they arrived in Libya at the start of the revolution, they had been forced to work on missile systems. Three Belarusians and two Russians who were in their party are also still held by the Zintanis. One of the Russians, who was said to be the leader of the group, was given a life sentence, while his compatriot and the Belarusians were also sentenced to ten years at the 2012 military trial. Those convictions have likewise been overturned and retrials ordered.

The men have been moved on a number of occasions between confinement in Zintan and Tripoli. Kozlow’s death on Monday occurred after the latest transfer from a prison, thought to be near the airport road, back to Zintan, which was made at the weekend as fighting raged around Tripoli airport.

According to the Ukrainian foreign ministry, Kozlow was taken ill and rushed to a local hospital where he died. The ministry also said: “The Libyan court possesses evidence proving the Ukrainians found their way to Libya as a result of fraudulent actions by a citizen of the Russian Federation, who hired them under the pretence of working for a Russia-Libya oil producing company”.

  [/restrict]

Tags: BelorusiansfeaturedLibyaMercenariesRussiantrialUkrainiansZintan

Related Posts

GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port
Libya

NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

August 26, 2025
EUBAM delivers first aid medical equipment to Border Guards and Interior Ministry
Libya

EUBAM trains 30 Drugs Control Agency and Customs Authority officers in advanced hand-held x-ray scanners

August 26, 2025
Next Post

GNC ready to hand power to House of Representatives on time

National oil production increases to 550,000 b/d

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Aldabaiba broadly welcomes Tetteh’s new political Roadmap

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

Acting Minister of Oil and Gas Khalifa Abdel Sadig and US Chargé d’affaires Berndt discussions include developing oil sector

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.