No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Peace deal between Warshefana and Zawia “agreed by elders”

byMichel Cousins
September 8, 2014
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Peace deal between Warshefana and Zawia “agreed by elders”

Washefana

By Ajnadin Mustafa.

Warshefana
Warshefana at Camp 27 yesterday

Tripoli, 9 August 2014:

Members of the Warshefana and Zawia councils of elder have agreed a peace deal, according to . . .[restrict]a deputy commander of the Warshefana forces. He told the Libya Herald that representatives from the Zawia Council of Elders had arrived in the district for negotiations last night and that a peace would be signed today. The main part of the deal, he claimed, was that Zawia would stop supporting Misrata in the current conflict in Tripoli. The Warshefana would also had over a number of Zawian forces captured in and around Camp 27 in recent days.

The deal follows the recapture of the camp by Warshefana forces yesterday, leaving Zawia dangerously exposed to potential missile attacks from the Warshefana. It also comes against the background of intensified efforts by the House of Representatives, the UN and the EU to establish a ceasefire.

Camp 27 was first taken by the Warshefana from Libya Shield forces and their allies on Tuesday after heavy fighting in which eight people, were said to have been killed. Sixty were reported injured. A number of others were captured by Warshefana.  The latter allege that Libya Shield’s dead included two Egyptian snipers.

RELATED POSTS

Zawia Refinery security taken over from militias by Libyan Army

Military operations launched in Zawia and surrounding areas ostensibly to fight crime – and possibly militias too

However, early on Thursday, amid reports that combined force from Zawia, Sabratha and Janzour were planning to retake it, the Warshefana left, claiming to have taken large amounts of captured weaponry with them.

The deputy Warshefana commander insisted to this newspaper at the time that they had pulled out voluntarily because the camp was not worth losing any men or equipment over.

Later in the day, moreover, it was clear that anti-Zintan/Warshefana forces were again in control. The First Janzour Support Division posted photos of it on its Facebook page to show that it had been retaken by them and forces from Zawia and Sabratha.

Yesterday, it was the Warshefana who were again posting photos of themselves at the camp.  They say they moved in after the Zawians and their allies tried to attack the Warshefana town of Zahra on Thurday and, when repulsed, fell back to the camp using it to fire missiles at the town.

This time, according to the deputy Warshefana commander, they are demolishing the buildings and the perimeter wall. The aim, he said, was to prevent the camp being seized and held by any military forces in future. It would in time, he declared, be turned into a public park.

Even if true, it is uncertain if the reported peace deal between Warshefana and Zawia will hold. In particular, it cannot be guaranteed that younger revolutionaries in the Zawia district will follow the advice and decisions of their elders. In June, there was a much-trumpeted formal reconciliation between Zawia and Bani Walid, negotiated by the two towns’ elders. It did not affect loyalties in Zawia. Bani Walid is firmly anti-Misrata while Zawia’s active forces have been supporting Misrata.

On the other hand, the town’s most prominent revolutionary leader, Shaaban Hadia Al-Zawi, the head of the Libyan Revolutionaries Operation Room – a major element in the Misrata-led alliance – is reported to have now left Libya for Morocco.

If the deal does work, it will be a major setback for the Misratan alliance. It would mean that its supporters in Janzour, the Fursan Janzour, would be split off from Misratan/revolutionary forces in the capital and isolated. Ghut Shaal between Janzour and central Tripoli is firmly pro-Zintan while Sabratha to the west of Zawia in two minds about where its loyalties lie.

Sabratha Municipal Council has said that it doe not support either side in the current conflict. [/restrict]

Tags: Camp 27featuredLibyawarshefanaZawia

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

CBL to deliver cash using Ilyushin military transport plane and helicopters

HoR receives first report from ministers in Tobruk

HoR receives first report from ministers in Tobruk

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.